What's new

Please confirm my suspicion that too much bass is OK for your health! (1 Viewer)

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Back in 92, I took my daughter to see Paula Abdul in concert (2cd row) and the bass was so powerful I could feel it in my chest thumping.

Three years later I had a heart attack.....

Coincidence? ;)

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Back in 92, I took my daughter to see Paula Abdul in concert (2cd row) and the bass was so powerful I could feel it in my chest thumping.

Three years later I had a heart attack.....

Coincidence? ;)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Kiss your high frequency hearing good-bye over time, though, if it's overdone. ;)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Kiss your high frequency hearing good-bye over time, though, if it's overdone. ;)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I dont know if he experienced it firsthand (heart problems), but he is worried.

Maybe the whole rush-to-hospital thing after a big amount of bass is a new urban legend, eh?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I dont know if he experienced it firsthand (heart problems), but he is worried.

Maybe the whole rush-to-hospital thing after a big amount of bass is a new urban legend, eh?

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"My friend gets really scared when he sees a movie in my home theater, because of the awesome bass my Dayton Tiny Mighty produces. He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road."

I don't know about that...but I have survived soundtracks such as U-575, Toy Story 2, The Patriot, Das Boot, etc., as well as highly dynamic orchestral music (Tschaivkosky's 1812 Overture finale--on Telarc label--for instance) played back at rather spirited sound pressure levels via eight SVS 16-46 subwoofers...and so far I haven't had a heart attack because of high amplitude bass reproduction.

But who knows....maybe when a pair of SVS B4+ units are added to the low end section of my sound system I might go into cardiac arrest then!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"My friend gets really scared when he sees a movie in my home theater, because of the awesome bass my Dayton Tiny Mighty produces. He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road."

I don't know about that...but I have survived soundtracks such as U-575, Toy Story 2, The Patriot, Das Boot, etc., as well as highly dynamic orchestral music (Tschaivkosky's 1812 Overture finale--on Telarc label--for instance) played back at rather spirited sound pressure levels via eight SVS 16-46 subwoofers...and so far I haven't had a heart attack because of high amplitude bass reproduction.

But who knows....maybe when a pair of SVS B4+ units are added to the low end section of my sound system I might go into cardiac arrest then!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Audible bass[20hz and up] won't cause any effects to your body including the ears,no matter how loud.Now, higher frequencies are a whole different matter alltogether.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Audible bass[20hz and up] won't cause any effects to your body including the ears,no matter how loud.Now, higher frequencies are a whole different matter alltogether.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I think this is incorrect. As told me by a doctor, there are many things you can damage other than the fibers in your chochlea. Bass, even that which you cannot hear, and large pressure changes can cause long-term kind of arthritis in the bones that transmit the sounds from your ear drum, not to mention if the pressure change is large enough it can rupture your ear drum.

Specific low frequencies have been studied for use by the military for disabling persons and enemies, and some have been known as the "brown sound" if played loud enough, as you can lose control of your bowels. Large pressure waves at extremes certainly aren't that healthy for you, AFAIK...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I think this is incorrect. As told me by a doctor, there are many things you can damage other than the fibers in your chochlea. Bass, even that which you cannot hear, and large pressure changes can cause long-term kind of arthritis in the bones that transmit the sounds from your ear drum, not to mention if the pressure change is large enough it can rupture your ear drum.

Specific low frequencies have been studied for use by the military for disabling persons and enemies, and some have been known as the "brown sound" if played loud enough, as you can lose control of your bowels. Large pressure waves at extremes certainly aren't that healthy for you, AFAIK...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The thing is though, loud bass frequencies are invariably accompanied by significant SPL elsewhere in the audio spectrum.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The thing is though, loud bass frequencies are invariably accompanied by significant SPL elsewhere in the audio spectrum.

ChuckRG

Agent
frank manrique:

You have EIGHT SVS 16-46's??????? You are as nuts as I am (I have dual B4's).

Did I see that you are contemplating adding 2 B4's as well?

Actually, you (or at least some "you's") can have too much bass. I used to have the Dual B4's and two PB2's. The basement walls moved so much that I was quite concerned over compromising the structural integrity of my theater (and hence my lift !!)

ChuckRG

Agent
frank manrique:

You have EIGHT SVS 16-46's??????? You are as nuts as I am (I have dual B4's).

Did I see that you are contemplating adding 2 B4's as well?

Actually, you (or at least some "you's") can have too much bass. I used to have the Dual B4's and two PB2's. The basement walls moved so much that I was quite concerned over compromising the structural integrity of my theater (and hence my lift !!)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
__________________________________________________ _______

Ok ok. That must be the explanation for all the dead animals I find laying around outside with their bowels in disarray. I just figured it was some weird cult not the SVS cult.

I agree with you Chuck but I'm still going to do the fourth 25-31CS+ here soon. Headroom you know? One basically sounds like three at normal levels calibrated correctly. Well close anyway.;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
__________________________________________________ _______

Ok ok. That must be the explanation for all the dead animals I find laying around outside with their bowels in disarray. I just figured it was some weird cult not the SVS cult.

I agree with you Chuck but I'm still going to do the fourth 25-31CS+ here soon. Headroom you know? One basically sounds like three at normal levels calibrated correctly. Well close anyway.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks