What's new

Please add link back to "Search" page when search returns nothing (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Right now, if the search doesn't find anything, a page comes up that says that nothing was found. Unfortunately, the back button goes back to automatically start the search, and of course ends up at the same page (sort of an infinite loop). In order to search again, one has to go back to the main page and navigate to the search page again.

It would be great if a link back directly to the search page could be included, preferrably with the old search criteria intact on the page when it opens. Thanks.

/Mike

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It would be great if a link back directly to the search page could be included, preferrably with the old search criteria intact on the page when it opens.
I agree wholeheartedly with MickeS! :)
Except, if your search comes up empty, it would be even better to have at the BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE a chance to do another search--WITH the original search criteria intact so that you can tweak it and try again. Why have the extra step of having to "get back to" a search page?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'd like this too. Is this the side effect of a mod of some sort? I haven't experienced this issue on other boards running vBulletin.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike--

I guess you got your wish! The search mode now seems to be working just the way you requested.

Just hit your "back" button and you're back to the search page with the original criteria intact.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just put a redirect back to the search page if your results turn up nothing.
Parker, would it be possible to do the same thing if your search DOES turn up threads? I had an occasion tonight to want to tweak my search after I saw the threads that resulted, but I could not get back to the original search page with my "back" button.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

When you get a search result returned you will see, right below the Home Theater Forum logo, links that say Home Theater Forum > Search > ....

If you click on the Search link it will take you back to the search page.

Parker

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Parker--

Thanks. But, the point is to be able to tweak your original search criteria without having to re-type everything in again. All I was asking was if it would be possible to hit your "back" button and return to the search page with the original criteria intact so you could fix the mis-spelling or make whatever other kind of change you wanted to try and get the desired results.

If you hit the "search" button again after getting some results you are taken to a blank search page.

Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

If you use Netscape then the back button will probably not work for you. For me if I find that I want to refine my search I just hit the back button and everything is kept. I use IE 6.0 with no problem at all.

Other than what I have already done there is nothing else that I can add to this.

Parker

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Parker, since you use IE 6.0 some, can you tell me where I can change a setting so as to have a page come up full screen instead of the mini-screen?

I like to have multiple windows open at once, i.e. be able to end the screen and go back to the last page without having to reload (one of the really nice features of Opera, imo). I have not yet found how to shift-left click a link and have it come up full screen on IE.

This doesn't actually pertain to the subject of this thread, except that this is one way you might keep your parameters (shift-click the search button). It works with Opera. I haven't tried it with IE.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi Parker!

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate! I'm sure its my fault.

For me if I find that I want to refine my search I just hit the back button and everything is kept. I use IE 6.0 with no problem at all.
I am using IE 6.0. If I do a search and get 15 pages of results, I might want to refine the search. If I hit "back", I just recycle back to the first page of results (1 of 15). If I hit the "Search" button above the results, I go to a blank search page. All my original criteria are gone and I have to type everything back in.

I was just wondring if you could do the same thing you did for when we get no results from our search. Then, you can hit "back" and get back to the search page with your original criteria intact.

I gave up on using Netscape with HTF a loooooong time ago.

Thank you.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I tried to say this in the post above yours, but maybe it got lost in my other question.

Try the shift-click trick of IE. It will open a new window for you. Do it like this:

1) Plug your parameters into the first screen but don't click the search button

2) shift-click the search button for a new screen with the results.

3) from your task bar, select the first window and refine your search criteria as desired.

4) do another shift-click on the search button.

Unless you close one of the search results, you can have all your search results residing on the task bar in separate windows. Again, the way Opera handles this makes it much easier, imo.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful to you.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

If I put a link that takes you back using a redirect to the main search page you will still lose all of your data as you have gone through 15 pages. The best way to handle this is to just copy your original search request to your clipboard and then go back to the original start page and past the information in and refine it from there.

Parker

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Well, I just assumed that technique would work with IE. IT does NOT! Rats.

It sure does work nicely with Opera though.

Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks