What's new

playstation3 in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Geez... In Japan by mid-year doesn't give developers much lead time.

Or is this likely to just be someone getting confused about a new iteration of the PS2?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
While I highly doubt that this will actually happen, I think that releasing too early is worse than releasing too late. Sure you get a nice lead but 2 years early is giving too much of a gap in the tech department. PS3 won't hold a candle to the Xbox 2 or Nintendo's next console if it truly is released this year.

Dean

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I think we saw reports like these in 98 and 99 about the PS2 coming out very early.

I think the odds of it coming this year would be, well, none.

Glen

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sony have already thoroughly denied the report.

There is not a single 1% chance of the PS3 coming out to retail this Christmas.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I don't see this happening and if it did, it might be a huge catastrophe for Sony. They have a huge lead in current console wars, are making money hand over fist on the software licenses, and reportedly make a profit on the still strong hardware sales.

So why would they want to end that early and start taking huge losses with a new console? Xbox can gain all it wants in 2003 and 2004, Sony is already way too far ahead with PS2 base to really care. They will start hyping the PS3 at least 9 months in advance to make sure people are dying to get one at launch, I haven't seen that marketing push just yet.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Lol - do they even read what they write? Sounds like the work of another expert industry analyst.

-Dave

Andy Kramer

Agent
In all honesty, do you really think that the biggest announcment next to X-Box 2 would just creep up on us and noone would know about it until 6 months ahead of time???? I mean i remember reading about PS2 almost a year and a half ahead of time. This could possibly just mean that development for the chipset and technology are being introduced. But who knows.. just seemd unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks