What's new

Playstation 4 "Orbis" rumor (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The average age of video gamers is now up to 37. Per multiple sources: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

I read an article from an MS insider that went against the other articles stating that "The New" Xbox will have a Bluray drive. Given they are really targeting the entertainment hub I think this makes more since. However, I think the SD card solution has merit. If you think about the power you can put in portables and the screen resolutions you can get... Would it not be a interesting solution to have one game that could play on a portable device and console with syncing of data (game saves) when close by? I think there could be some cool integration solutions and I'm darn surprised that "N" didn't jump on them given there hand held dominance.

On the used games thing... The only thing I don't like about it and I'm already having this issue is for multi-console households. So now my son can't play SSX with his friends because I already activated the MP code. It ticks me off.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
right, that doesn't break it down by console tho. I'd suspect the under 18 category is a healthy 25% or so for both of the consoles which purport to cater to mature, sophisticated gamers.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
dmiller68 said:
The average age of video gamers is now up to 37. Per multiple sources: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf
I read an article from an MS insider that went against the other articles stating that "The New" Xbox will have a Bluray drive. Given they are really targeting the entertainment hub I think this makes more since. However, I think the SD card solution has merit. If you think about the power you can put in portables and the screen resolutions you can get... Would it not be a interesting solution to have one game that could play on a portable device and console with syncing of data (game saves) when close by? I think there could be some cool integration solutions and I'm darn surprised that "N" didn't jump on them given there hand held dominance. 
On the used games thing... The only thing I don't like about it and I'm already having this issue is for multi-console households. So now my son can't play SSX with his friends because I already activated the MP code. It ticks me off.
I don't know David, the more I read about these new systems the more I just want to stick with my current gen systems. Buy a couple new 360's, and PS3's to "future proof" myself for the next 30 years. And enjoy them while they last.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't trust the idea of the average gamer age for a few reasons. First off, it's based on number of people playing games and not number of sales. A 50 year old and a 24 year old could both be gamers and their average age is 37, but the 24 year old might buy 100 games per year while the 50 year old still plays WoW from when it launched. Second, the mean/average is 37, but not the median. Almost all kids play games nowadays and ask for them as gifts. Adults have the purchasing power to go out and buy whatever they want, but kids are still a big market. Third, have you ever played a FPS on the 360 online? Those racial slurs and homophobic rants aren't coming from 37-year-olds.
If MS and Sony cut GameStop out by blocking used games, that's one thing. But Best Buy is getting into that market and I believe Wal-Mart has shown interest. A year and a half from now is a long amount of time and we don't know what will happen. I could see overall sales plummeting because people would be unwilling/unable to buy new games at full price all the time. To assume that when people are given two options, buy full price new or don't buy at all, that they will go for the one that costs significantly more money is stupid.
I'd bet that the new consoles will have systems in place to block full access to used games in the same way that online passes do, except using a method that is tied into the console rather than something that needs to be done by the publisher. It's probably something as simple as just allowing access to content for whichever user account uses that particular game first and eliminates having to put in an unlock code and download a patch.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
The thought has crossed my mind and I have bought launch consoles for xbox, xbox 360 and PS3. However, if they go down this path I'm going to think long and hard about it. This is coming from a person who runs a gamer community for people 21 and up, bought 250+ 360 Games, 150+ 360 Arcade titles, 50 Wii and 50-60 DS games. Not to mention all the games I bought for systems I have owned in the past. I never buy used games however, my kids have separate Xbox accounts and I share my games with them. If I'm fundamentally being blocked from doing that then I'm going to start thinking about stop buying games from those people... Currently I have canceled all EA pre-orders until I know if they are going to have online codes.

Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/319709/playstation-4-orbis-rumor#post_3913966
I don't know David, the more I read about these new systems the more I just want to stick with my current gen systems. Buy a couple new 360's, and PS3's to "future proof" myself for the next 30 years. And enjoy them while they last.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
dmiller68 said:
The average age of video gamers is now up to 37. Per multiple sources: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf
You are correct about the gamer age, but it goes deeper than that if you really research it. Many magazines, podcasts, etc. have all published and talked about this in-depth so you can find plenty on the subject to back this up from multiple sources. What you must do is treat this like any business would and look at it from the stand point of - you follow the money. The breakdown and demographics clearly show their bread and butter comes from adults that are middle - upper income for the most part and spend a great deal of money each month, not to mention yearly on games and game hardware. This is why the market has shifted and has been that way for some time. Again, this does NOT apply to companies like Nintendo that do market to kids and their sells support the whole "family" demographic break down. But for Sony and MS, this is something that won't bother them if they do implement some of these changes in their new consoles. Whatever changes they do make though, you can bet their R&D department can support their findings for making those changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks