What's new

Playstation 2 or just wait? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not much of a console player--have gotten by with just a GameCube for the Nintendo properties I love such as Zelda and Metroid--but I've become interested in the PS2 lately. It started with God of War, but I would like to play other titles such as Katamari and Metal Slug 4/5. I know, that latter would be a really weird reason to get a system, but I love the Metal Slug games.

Anyway, would it be kind of silly to get a PS2 now with the PS3 on the way? I'm thinking if I get a next-gen console, it's going to be the Sony, so I'll probably end up getting it eventually. How far away is it, and it will be backward compatible, right? All the way back to the PS1? If I do wait, should I pick up some of the titles I like now? My experience with console games is that they don't last on the shelves too long. I'm sure God of War will be around, but I don't know about Metal Slug.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
A new PS2 is costs only as much as a few PS2 games. PS2 games will be playable on the PS3 which is scheduled to be released sometime next year. I'd go for it....

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
You know what, at this point it's probably worth picking up the games and the console. I'm betting that the Ps3 won't be out until sometime next year, so you're looking at probably 8-12 months before you can get ahold of a console, at which point you're probably right about the games being hard to find. You can probably get a used Ps2 for $100 though, which should hold you over until the Ps3 comes out. Given that the Ps3 will probably be about $400 at launch, you may even want to wait a while. There's no need to rush to the next generation if there's still a bunch of games that you want to play in this generation.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, guys. I hadn't checked prices on the PS2, so I thought it was higher than it is. The PS3 is going to be a little steep for me right off the bat, and my TV isn't ready for Blu-Ray anyway. I'll probably go ahead and get a PS2 soon.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The PS2 is a nice complement to the Nintendo Gamecube, you mention Katamari Damacy, but there are other top notch Sony exclusive platform games like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Klonoa 2, Ape Escape 2, and one of my favorites of all time, ICO.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm pretty new to it, so I'd have to start looking into all those games. The good news is, they're probably pretty cheap by now! My problem is, I recently got G4TV, and I'm being exposed to console games on a regular basis. I think with exclusives, the ultimate solution is what most of you seem to have done: get all the systems. :D

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The great news: the new slim PS2 is cheaper, has a built in ethernet port, and has some new functions the older PS2s didnt have. So you should definitely get one of the new slim ones.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
I have decided to own a PS3 from reading so much on it. Revolution I'd not bother as PS3 is going blu ray.

Just buy a PSP for now. Its something neat to have and a thing if you like Sony games. And you can do alot with it.
Im using mine more for listening to MP3 files. Movies are a waste as DVD's are better though. But I have the Spiderman for PSP movie.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It depends on the title(s) in question. Games such as "Katamari Damacy" and "Metal Slug 4 & 5" can be readily bought at most B&M retailers, and should be available for a while, even when they're discounted. Very few games in the PS2 lineup have low print runs, save limited edition prints (e.g. "Mortal Kombat: Deception" Premium Pack and "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory" Collector's Edition) and RPGs from Atlus; even then, games such as "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" and Nippon Ichi's "La Pucelle: Tactics" can still be found via retail and online channels (they are likely closer to MSRP though).

E-tailers such as EBGames.com and Gamestop.com discount popular titles quite often (I picked up "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater" for $19.99 this way; the current MSRP is $39.99 at places such as Best Buy).

There are online forums that keep tabs on video game price drops. I've picked up quite a few demo discs and games at reduced prices this way, some even free (such as the PS2 version of "Psi-Ops" at Best Buy; it was discounted to $4.99 and I had a $5 coupon good towards any PS2 or PSP game).

Some games will become more difficult to locate via mainstream retail channels (some have a shorter shelf life than others), but just about every game in the PS2's life cycle can be had (even discontinued ones still factory sealed) with a little searching.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg, have you thought of picking up a 360 when it's released. If not you really should consider it.

Brion

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll have to see some real gameplay footage from the PS3 before I decide between the systems, but it just seems more interesting to me right now. The only things that interest me on the 360 right now are Gears of War and DOA4. The PS3 games look cool if they can live up to the E3 showing, and having Blu-Ray is pretty important.

Well, I'm going to go to Best Buy here in a bit and at least look. Thanks for all the responses.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Really? I wasn't aware that there was any difference between the old/new PS2s (other than the on board ethernet and the top loading form factor). Can anyone fill in what these "new functions" are?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Here's some interesting info I came across from bungiefan on Playstation.com regarding model numbers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks