What's new

Playing It Straight ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
So, it looks like everyone lost interest in this show.
Last night's was interesting with the stuff between Ryan, Gust(?) and the spanish fella.
Jackie still has some odd ideas of what makes someone gay. Oh, no kiss after the swing date...he's gay. Oh he's kind of quiet...he's gay!
What is the deal with this show anyway? They aren't doing anything except a glorified hide n' seek. There's no real romance building or anything like that it seems (I missed the first half hour last night though). It just seems like the whole game is "find the fancy lad".
I'm giving it one more show and then calling it quits.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Like I said before, there's a cruel, ugly streak in the way this show is structured.

Jackie still has no concept of how to tell the sexuality of any of these guys. The money makes for a heavy motivator for any of the gay guys to pull out all stops to deceive her.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The thing that snags the concept of a show like this is that it does become about figuring out who is gay and the idea of finding someone to connect with gets obliterated. The same thing happened on "Boy Meets Boy:" Once they revealed the twist to James, the rest of the episodes weren't about him finding a great connection with someone but about figuring out who the straight guy was.

Shock of all shocks, after the show ended, James and Wes had to spend so much time apart that any sparks of romance that they started under such negative conditions were extinguished.

While there is a cruel streak in all the reality dating shows, the "twist" with these gay/straight one becomes
the dominating factor and any illusions of the show being romantic are lost.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Yeah, I'm thinking they would have made better TV by not telling her the "twist" untill at least few episodes in. That way she would have been more concerned with building relationships rather than obsessing whether they have "loafer lightener" in their suitcases (Simpsons reference).

On another note, Man, the more I see Jackie, the cuter she is.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well-

I only caught the last half of this show tonight (3/26),
but it seems the premise already wearing thin and I have
no investment in the outcome of this show.

I wonder if the ratings (whatever they were the first week)
have dropped off significantly.

hmmmmmmm

Mark

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I finally caught my first full episode of this show this week. Man, this makes "Boy Meets Boy" look like a masterpiece. In that show, I actually got a feeling that some of the guys WERE actually interested in James at least.

Kenneth, if I recall correctly, James was told of the "twist" much earlier in the show than the final 3 -- I believe it was about the 4th episode or so, and his female friend threw a fit because she was afraid James would be hurt. I found "BMB" quite fascinating, but "Playing it Straight" seems poorly structured, Jackie's comments are so stupid, and who cares? There is not even a pretense by anyone that it's about anything other than money.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I really think they should show more skin in order to make it more interesting.
You would think the girl would have learned something in the last few weeks about what makes a guy gay. She needs to get a clue.
I wish they had explained why all of a sudden the guy from last week was gone under myserious circumstances.
Soooo, we only get one voted off this week and there are two less gay men left.
I hope she loses.

FOX No Longer 'Playing It Straight'
By Brian Ford Sullivan
_______

Guess we wont be seeing who won...

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- FOX is dumping its reality dating series "Playing It Straight," while "Wonderfalls" and "Forever Eden" are swapping time periods permanently beginning this week.

The news comes as little surprise for "Straight," as last Friday's broadcast averaged a paltry 2.1 rating/4 share and 1.3 rating among adults 18-49 according to fast national data. Both those scores would mark the network's worst Friday, 8:00/7:00c time period performance this season should they hold up nationally.

According to today's, 3/30/04, Daily Variety, Fox is putting "Playing it Straight" on hiatus effective immediately. Starting this Friday Fox will be showing "Totally Outrageous Behavior" and "World's Craziest Videos" in the 8-9 PM slot. "Wonderfalls" is shifting to Thursdays at 9:00 PM starting this week. The article said Fox felt "Playing it Straight" never found it's audience but there is a chance on Fox bringing it back in summer so viewers can find out how the game ends.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Damn, that is almost lamer than Fox cancelling John Doe after teasing its viewers with a cliffhanger of a season ender.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
As sour as the show was feeling, delaying the end until the summer gives everyone ample time to figure out who was gay and who was straight. One page, I found listed everyone they thought was gay.

As it turns out,
Luciano
works at a gay bar as a bartender. Now this, to me doesn't mean he is gay, because I used (back in my early 20s) hang out with a friend who ran a local modeling agency and a surprizing number of his straight male models hung out in the gay bars because while being totally hetero, they were very much the prototype-metrosexuals we see now days. Based on a few comments this fella has made on the show, I would imagine he is a metro...but that is just a guess, and these fellas are lying on the show.

I would imagine Luciano could make a lot of money as a bartender because gay men are going to give him MUCH bigger tips than if he were working in a straight bar.

Fox should probably just restart the show on thier cable channel FX and get it over with now.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Luciano could do alot of things to make good money! :D
Wow, cant wait to see more Funniest Home video shows!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Saw this posted on thefutoncritic.com

So I guess we will never know the outcome unless we can somehow get the info as the below article states...

-- Don't look for a resolution to "Playing it Straight" or "Forever Eden," not to mention midseason holdovers "Still Life" and "The Ortegas." FOX executives made it clear at its upfront presentation that all four series will be scrapped despite previous indications at least the two reality series would return this summer. As for who actually won each competition, FOX topper Gail Berman told reporters: "We will certainly provide any viewer that needs the information with the information of the conclusion."

So Gail, how DO we get that needed info???!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks