What's new

Plasma Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I'm looking around at 50+" plasmas, and I would like to know what is the best bang for the buck?

I'm going to be doing 75% Digital Cable/HDTV, and 25% DVD. It must have built in speakers also.

Is there a model that just stands above the rest in picture quality?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve

The Panasonic 50PX60U is a great set and priced well below the boutique brands such as Fujitsu. Circuit City had the 50PX60U for $2880 last week. If you want to be at the top of the heap, wait till late this year and get the 58 inch Panasonic 1080P plasma. Will cost about 90% more than the 60U.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Several plasma's I would consider:

Panasonic TH-50PX60U (50") or TH-58PX60U (58")
Hitachi 55HDS69 (55") or 55HDT79 (55")
Pioneer PDP-5070HD (50")
Pioneer Elite PRO-1130HD (50")

Fujitsu and Runco will both be out of your price range... I would choose any of the models above over Samsung or LG sets.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Alon

Wouldn't the Panny 58 inch 1080P "stand above the rest in picture quality"? Of course Myram would have to be willing to wait several months and go $5K for the 1080P.

Bob.S

Auditioning
Panasonic are typically the best... I doubt you could go wrong with any Panasonic plasma, I've never seen one that looked bad.

I have a 50" samsung. Great quality. I honestly love the TV, and have no complaints. BUT, i know the panisonic's are better... Without having one side by side I can't tell the difference (think about that while in the store!)

If I were buying a new one, I'd go to the store and look with my own eyes... In my opinion. Panisonic, Samsung, Pioneer are on top.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
The Panasonics have caught my eye, and the 50" is looking good.

But I wanted to check with the pros to see what is ranking towards the top.

Keep the suggestions and tips coming.

Thanks,

Steve

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve

Screen size has a huge impact on your viewing experience. Stick to Panasonic, but if the forthcoming >$5,000 58 inch 1080P is not on the menu, I would seriously consider the 58PX60U. $4,300 plus shipping from a reliable source. If you would like more info on the source, please send me a private message.

PS When I decided I wanted a larger TV, the advice I took was to get a really big TV. So I got a 65 inch. From 12 feet it is stunning. Going from the 50 to the 58 gets you 35% more screen area.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I have a 46" Mitsubishi right now, but I'm wanting to go to Plasma. So it has to be at least a 50" or larger to make it worth it for me.

Panasonics have had my eye for a while since I started looking into Plasmas, so it's good to hear that they really are that good from other people.

Steve

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve

The source I have for you for the 58px60u is pretty close to you. You would probably be looking at $4425 delivered. Just send me a private message, the source is considered quite reliable :)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you're going plasma, then for the last several generations, my recommendation has also been for the Panasonic units. And at work, we've had excellent track records with them.

Leo

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
How is the Toshiba 50HP66?

How about the Hitachi 55HDS69?

I have a buddy who can get me a good discount, but only on a few brands.....and Panasonic isn't one of them.

Steve

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Myram - Toshiba rebadges Panasonic's plasma screens and internal processing components

Also, that Hitachi model is gorgeous, that would be my choice

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH

So.............Toshiba is as good as Panasonic?

Those are my 2 choices......just not sure which one to go with.

Steve

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
According to AVS Forum, Toshiba has switched manufacturing of their plasma's from Panansonic to Orion (Sansui) and are now manufactured in Thailand - product quality has slipped. Avoid the Toshiba plasma.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=663754
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=674762

Mind you, some are reporting a back flicker issues with the Hitachi set as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=55HDS69

But in any case, you can never go wrong with Fujitsu, Hitachi or Panasonic. Their plasma's are all made to the highest standards, and have phenominal picture quality.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic is in about its 9th generation of plasmas. Samsung is a newcomer to the plasma brigade in comparison. Too bad about Toshiba switching away from Panasonic innards to Orion. In any case, Panasonic PX60U is the logical choice.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Ok, so Toshiba isn't a good choice.

What about the Hitachi?

I know the Panasonic is everyone's favorite, but my buddy doesn't carry that brand.

The Panasonic 50PX60U..........what's the best price for it? I found it for around $2300 delivered at Plasma House.

Steve

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve

I don't have any experience with the Hitachi so I can only make some general statements.

1) Screen size has a significant impact. Let's say the Hitachi is a little less in picture quality than the Panasonic. The larger picture might more than make up for that. Depends on how fussy you are :) When people look at 2 TVs, the large one will generally get the nod if both pictures are near equal.

2) I don't know anything about Plasma House, however, the Forum sponsor, TVA, should be able to deliver the Panasonic for just about the same price, and if I am not mistaken, if you mention Home Theater Forum when you call TVA, they might be able to match or slightly beat the price you quote, (and do mention that price).

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
That's what I'm probably going to end up doing. I'm not going to buy a lesser brand TV to save $300, when I can get the Panasonic for $2300 delivered.

I was hoping my buddy's discount was much better, and had better brands.....but that was not the case.

Steve

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I think you will love the Panny. A year ago, $2,600 was considered a steal for a Vizio 50" plasma, and $2,500 for the Dell 42 inch plasma generated thousands of views on certain forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks