What's new

Plasma Group Says Its TVs Are Selling Better. Are you going to buy a Plasma HDTV for your next HDTV (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Currently in our house, the downstairs front projection screen is the only HDTV we have (gasp!). Our family room TV is still an old 32" CRT. We're not in any rush to upgrade the set - it was my wife's set and she bought a beautiful cherry cabinet for it way back when and it just barely fits. Replacing the TV means replacing the furniture, so it can wait a bit.

When we DO decide to replace it, we've (I've) pretty much decided to look into ~42" plasma displays first. Every time I look at TVs I am less impressed with LCD and more impressed with plasma.

A number of years ago, I was firmly ensconced in the "anti-plasma" camp, mainly because of the exhorbitant price premium they carried. Clearly, that's no longer the case.

I don't care about super thin. I don't care about artificial frame creation/boosted refresh rates. I care about picture quality and color fidelity. From what I've seen, plasma wins on those criteria.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Bought my first plasma (Panasonic 50" VT25) last fall, and I'll never look back.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys I always recommend plasmas for reference viewing.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I could do with some advice on plasmas - the one thing that has held me back from a plasma is the issue of screen burn . Given I was in the market for a tv some years ago when this issue seemed prevalent, has this now been overcome .?

tv-tech

Grip
Real Name
Jim Murphy
No, not technically. Screen burn is only an issue if you watch 4x3 or run a constant static image. Most new plasmas have a white wash feature that will even out the panel if this does happen. Both of my plasmas are prior to that technology, and I don't have issues, but I'm careful about my cable box, dvd, and computer setup. My 50 was burned when I got it (techs get stuff that is technically damaged), but through normal use it is barely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks