What's new

planning new theater room (1 Viewer)

DanLym

Auditioning
Hi,
I have a couple of questions about building a Home theater in the basement. First, it looks like I will be limited to 11x18 in size. Do you think that is big enough to run 6.1? I really hope so. Second, if I do a 6.1 setup, should the side speakers be dipole/bipole or monopole? Third, is resilient channel (RC) worth implementing to try and keep the noise out of the rest of the house? Fourth, I'd like to know your single most important piece of advice in building a basemnent theater room?

I have researched sound control to death and am now just confused. So many things to do to make a difference, but if you do them the least bit wrong, it appears any advantage you could have gained is lost.

Thanks
Dan

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know your single most important piece of advice in building a basemnent theater room?
Plan. Plan. Plan. Throw in some more planning for good measure. Even before that make sure you have a firm idea in your mind what your end result should be.

So far as the size of your room is concerned that should facilitate 6.1. Just make sure none of the seating positions are against a wall.

Dipole vs. monopole is an ageless debate with no right answer. In its favor dipoles have a very spacious ambient soundfield, whereas monopole are more effective at localizing sounds. Listen at dealers and experiment if possible in your space. Go with what you like.

So far as resilient channel is concerned I think there are mixed schools of thought on that as well. It's pretty cheap so you have little to lose. That said you'll get more effective sound isolation by first planning for double framed walls with offset studs and, ideally, a second layer of drywall (different thickness than the first with the seams offset). Going one step further you could weave a layer of Acoustiblock between the studs. That said you need to consider how much isolation you want, and be aware that whatever you do everything is subject to the weakest link. A perfectly isolated room is worth bupkus if you have a hollow core door that lets every squeak through. Likewise holes in walls from electrical plugs or lighting, or ductwork for HVAC. It is very difficult to completely isolate a room.

DarrinH

Second Unit
I can input!
My room is in my basement and is 12X17.
I run 6.1 using dipole surrounds and I like them alot.
I do keep seating away from the walls as mentioned earlier.
My walls are carpeted so the room is pretty dead.

DanLym

Auditioning
Thanks guys,
I guess I'll go ahead with things and bet it will be big enough for 6.1. I think I'll go dipoles on the side an monopole in the rear. Just need to work out the soundproofing details.. Thanks for the input.

Dan

John Clancy

Auditioning
Surely the most important thing in any home cinema is the quality of the picture with sound being a secondary consideration. After all, sound doesnt really affect the enjoyment of Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton or such greats as Fritz Lang's metropolis.

Having said all that dipoles tend to give a nicer ambient surround sound than something that points directly at you. Dipoles are also much cheaper now than they were a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks