What's new

planning for new home theatre (1 Viewer)

beckett

Auditioning
Real Name
Beckett
I'm planning a home theatre in an unfinished basement. The main area of the room is 21' x 14' with an open area off to the right of the screen of 6' x 12'. Ceilings are just under 8'. There will be a fireplace on the main wall where the screen will be so I'll have to have a hanging/ ?electric screen in front of the fireplace. This will not be a dedicated theatre but will be able to make it dark for movies and would want to watch mostly sports with some ambient light. I'm looking at projectors now and am considering

Panasonic AX100U at around 1600$
Mitsibishi HD100 at around 900$

I like the flexibility of the panasonic for placement but could easily ceiling mount the projector.

Any thoughts on which would work better for this situation? Also what screen would you recommend? I am leaning towards a bigger screen ?119" diagnoal 16x9. Any ideas on the best screen material. The tensioned screens seem to be quite expensive. I'd hope to stay under 1000$ for a screen.
Thanks, I would appreciate any input.

Stephen Williamson

Auditioning
Judging by the 21' room length, i presume that your are going to have two rows of seats, if so, you may find the 119" screen to high for the second row of seats on a riser to see the bottom over the first rows heads, also, if you mount the PJ on the ceiling, as opposed to mounting in a bulkhead at the rear, you will hear the fan noise below the PJ.

I would go with the Panny with an 110" screen for the room size you specify. The open area to the right of the screen, can this be enclosed for a AV component room?

beckett

Auditioning
Real Name
Beckett
Thanks, there is a small storage area which is already enclosed where I plan to put the equipment. The open area will probably be a kids play area.

Any ideas of the best screen/material to use if I did get the Panny?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Either projector will work. They're both very bright when needed, and have gotten great reviews. I will be buying the Mits. because I prefer DLP, and it's half the price. I doubt you will find the Pan. for $1600 from an authorized Pan. dealer. Where did you see that price? You should go with a light gray screen since you will be watching with ambient light.

beckett

Auditioning
Real Name
Beckett
I realized the price I saw was for the Panasonic PT AX100 instead of the PT AX100U which I assume is the non-US version. I wasn't able to find the full specs to see what the differences are. It is about 300$ less (Broadway photo) Anybody know what the difference is and whether it's worth considering?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks