What's new

Planning for 7.1 or 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
We are begining the remodel of the theater room and I'm not sure if I should wire for 7.1 or 5.1. Currently I'm using a Yamaha A-1 (5.1) but at some point I'll move that to the living room and it seems everything these days is 7.1. Right now my effects are bi/di-poles on the side but I'm thinking of switching to monopoles. The room is 13'2" wide will be either 28'6" or 27' deep (depending on if I construct a false wall in the front to house an IB sub) and 7' high. Down the right side of the room runs an air duct making the ceiling about 6'6" for about 18" into the room. There is a door on the back wall to the left of the air duct, so maybe I should consider just doing 6.1 becase the right speaker would have to be about center. The seating position is going to range from about 10'-18' back. So with all that rambling background the question is; should I wire for the rear channel even though it would be between 10 and 20' behind the seating position? Would the rear channel be lost that far back? Is it even worth it and should I just stick the 5.1?

Thanks for all the advice!

Brad

DrJ 1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rex
Why are you planning to change the Bipolar side surrounds. It is my understanding, this would me more benefitial for surround effects and mono polar. I've had bipolar for both my side and rear surrounds for years, and they fill the room. ARJ

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about it because I've heard Yamaha recomends monopoles with their DSPs. Also, my bi-poles are white and when we repaint I think a black speaker will hide better, (I know dumb reason) but I'm still undecided. But that is a decision I can make anytime, the 7.1/5.1 is the one I'd like to make before I finish the sheetrock.

Thanks!

Brad

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
I would wire for 6.1 or 7.1 - it's a lot easier before the walls go in

If you want to shorten the room with a couch in the middle, you could wire for in ceiling speakers - and maybe a projector hookup as well

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks- Planning the projector and a couch will be in the middle to create a viewing area. I was just concered that at 10 behind the viewing area would be to far for the speakers to be effective.

Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely over-plan. Wire is very cheap. Running wire once the walls are done later on is a big pain. If you can, it's even better to run large conduits that way you can pull wire in the future much more easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks