What's new

Planet Terror and Death Proof in Blu!! Coming 12/16 (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
digital bits reported toay.

However no new extras or theatrical cut to speak of. :frowning:

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
Curious why they can't also just sell a set of these with Grindhouse as a bonus disc. Is it a rights issue similar to the full cut of Kill Bill perhaps?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Good question Jeff. I hadnt thought about that before. Im just pissed myself cause I missed the "Grindhouse" version of these in theatres. The bogus trailers aer on Youtube want to see them put back in the double feature version.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No rights issue: Grindhouse was released by Dimension Films/TWC to theatres. I think it's just a case of TWC ignoring how badly fans want a 3-disc set (it would only have to be three with BD 50s):
Disc 1: Grindhouse
Disc 2: Planet Terror Extended with bonus features
Disc 3: Death Proof Extended with bonus features
They could split the bonus features from the 6th Japanese disc over PT and DP. It's like a blind man on a nude beach:
It's not hard, folks!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it makes you feel any better but they're probably only ignoring fans because they want to sell three separate releases. They can't sell a set of Grindhouse, Planet Terror and Death Proof for an $87 MSRP (the $28.99 MSRP x 3 movies) but they charge that much when they split it up three ways.

Grindhouse plays on Starz so I'm sure there's an HD version that is ready to go but they're just going to wait.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Sigh... TWC is starting to become one of the worse studios with respect to DVD releases. They know better than to release these without an option for the theatrical version.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it seems like a pretty dumb move and a waste. They spent all that money and time marketing the name GRINDHOUSE and the concept (which included all the fake trailers).

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

But Grindhouse was a bit of a flop, wasn't it? Given the poor box office performance, I think the studio is purposely trying to sever the films' ties to the "Grindhouse" branding.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Finally! Again, I haven´t even seen these two (and I didn´t want to buy those SD DVDs).

"Genius will finally release Planet Terror and Death Proof on Blu-ray Disc on 12/16. Extras, however, appear to be identical to the prevoius DVD editions."

2-disc SD DVD-releases have extras, so I guess they´re at least included..

..but, they can´t match the Japanese DVD-set:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=11870

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic! Both will be mine!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

True but I believe that had more to do with the release window than the film. Who releases these movies on Easter weekend?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have seriously considered getting that Japenese boxset but I dont know how or what to play it on since its R2. My primary DVD player is the Sony BD301 player with a $40 POS Toshiba for my bedroom.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Philips actually has a few cheap (around $40-60) DVD players that are easily modified to play DVDs from any region (with a simple code entered via the remote). I have their DVP642 and DVP3140, both of which I use to play non-region-1 DVDs. It seems a bit extreme to buy a DVD player just for a single movie, but as much as that Japanese Grindhouse box is gonna set you back (upwards of $100 after shipping), what's another $40? Plus, you won't have to worry about region coding in the future. I have that Grindhouse set, plus a bunch of other cool DVDs from around the world. The region-free player was definitely a worthwhile investment, in my opinion.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Carl,
After posting that I went to videohelp and figured out my second player Toshiba 4100 has a multiregion (0) hack so Im cool there. Also Amazon jp. has the set for 7,381 yen which (if the google calculator is accurate) is $69 US.

Im sure there are other titles which I would want but just havent gotten yet.

Thanks

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to single you out (since I've seen this said alot) but that doesn't make much sense to me. Just because it's supposed to have the look of a beat up print doesn't mean that you aren't supposed to see it at a higher resolution than the DVD.

Or to look at it from a different way, you could videotape your TV as it played Planet Terror and then watch that tape. It would look worse than the DVD or Blu-ray but no one would say that is what is intended or that that enhances the grindhouse feel.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Actually Rodriguez said in an interview before the SDVD's were even out that Both films were going to be released "clean" with no fake imperfections in HD. So maybe these are going to be those cuts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks