What's new

Planet of the Apes Blu-Ray Set - Nov. 4 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
$160 for the standard Blu-Ray set. $180 for the Blu-Ray set in the Ape head package.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Oh happy day! I haven't seen these films since my vcr broke almost 6 years ago. I almost bought the ape head but the price was too high and I knew blu-ray was around the corner. I'll get this for sure.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was talking about the Briefcase edition Blade Runner BD. It sold for $100(maybe more) when it was first released. Also, I'm 99% certain you'll be able to find the Ape set for around $100 when released. Especially with the first week sales prices from stores like Best Buy. So yeah, pretty much the same price.
Never get spooked by the MSRP(list price). Don't go touting that $160 MSRP price around here like it's concrete. You all know full well it's going to be much cheaper(we'll see what Amazon and DD sells it for) when released.

Miami Vice complete series box MSRP $189. What I paid through Deepdiscount $127.
Box sets seem to have an unusually high differential between the MSRP, and what they actually sell for. If you don't want the set fine, but don't use the price as an excuse.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Douglas, I recently saw these on MonstersHD on Dish Network, putrid presentation from Dish due to usual low bitrate and downrezzing, blah blah

anyway the films didn't have DNR from what little I looked at them, maybe this is just me being positive for a change, but it is something to go on
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

-Gary

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Okay, it may be that I will be ready to buy my Bluray player. This series is among my favorite films of all time. And the main thing that wets my whistle is the UNRATED VERSION OF "CONQUEST" - never before seen!

I bought a 46" HDTV two months ago. I was toying with possibly going to BD by Christmastime anyway -- and this may be an offer too good for an Apemaniac like me to refuse.

I already have the old Ape Head with the 5 movies on SD.... I don't see the point in buying all 5 again for 8 minutes of extra footage for CONQUEST on SD (assuming this collection eventually makes it to SD, and I think it would have to) ....

So I may be in for BD.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Apes was the Sci-fi franchise KING before Star Wars in 1977 when I was a kid. I'm down for the set! :emoji_thumbsup:

Unless of course it's botched, waxed by the Karate Kid and sandblasted into an unrecognizable blurrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I guess that should go without saying, but you never know.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
·Limited Edition Planet Of The Apes Ultimate DVD Collection (Ape Head
· Packaging)
·----------------------------------------------------------------------
·Street Date: November 4, 2008
·Pre-book Date: October 8, 2008
·DVD Price: $179.98 U.S. / $249.98 Canada
·Catalog #: 2233133

wasnt that the first price of the head?

no mention of a blu-ray head.

But it does also say.

"In addition, the previously released Limited Edition Planet Of The
Apes Ultimate Collection will be available in the uniquely packaged
ape head just in time for the holidays at a more attractive price.'

looks like they botched up the press release.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Get real!
"BR" on HDM was $40US for the 5 versions (I've seen it for 20 on BD new) w/the box for $100US.
"PotA" on HDM is $160US for the 5 movies & many here already have a box or two of these films on SD DVD. Whereas the five versions of "BR" had never been available anywhere at any price any time before.
See the difference?
$$$ :-0
This set will sell fine, just it wont be the got to have it yesterday "BR" on HD discs was.
Fox HAS too "pull out all the stops for" this as ape fans already have box set SE's. And is Fox really "pulling out all the stops" when this set doesn't contain the TV live action & TV animated series, that are in SD DVD sets?

If your excited, I'm excited for you!
Just not everyone feels the same way as you (and maybe shouldn't post here ;-) ).
Hope your happy.

I LUV, LUV, LUV, the "Humans are even uglier in High-Def" tagline!!! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty excited about the set. My earlier post explains what I was talking about with the Blade Runner BD, and the MSRP of box sets. Why shouldn't I post here?
BTW, I don't care who buys the set. It's your money. I was just saying I thought this sounded like an awesome set, and most people are dissing it because they just want the one movie. It is a bummer the tv series aren't on the set in HD, but that's really the only thing I see wrong with it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I must have missed something. Did it say there was the unrated version of Conquest? As far as I know there was only a preview version that was shown and then edited. I don't know that an unrated version even exists.

Doug

Edit: Never mind I see it now. I wonder if they just slapped a copy of the preview print on the disk or did they actually go back to the OCN and re-cut the film to match the preview version?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Bryan,
I think you missed my point about $$$.
However you did get my "excieted" point! :)
"PotA" is 4 times as much as "BR".
FOUR TIMES!!!
That's a lot of mulla.
For the reasons I pointed out & you agree none of the 2 TV shows are included.

Don't worry about it!
This same thing about passing went on on the "ST: TOS remastered" HD thread. ;-)

Who says: You "shouldn't" post here?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I was referring to the Blade Runner BD in the Briefcase which was around $100 dollars when it was released. A little closer price wise. I already own the Ape Head dvd set, but I can't pass this one up. The studio list prices are always much higher than what you'll see at Amazon, Deepdiscount etc. I'm pretty sure the price point will be closer to $100 when released.
EDIT: BTW, Including the VHS box set, this will be the fourth time I will own this series. Hope it's the last one I have to buy;)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Looks like a no-brainer to me, a 70s kid who grew up with the series!

I'm very pleased with the additional features the Blu-ray set offers (including featurettes for the sequels, which were short-changed by the original set). I'm also very happy to hear that the set will feature isolated scores, for the sequels at least (not for the original film???)

Have Fox given the Edward G Robinson test film a new HD transfer? That would be the icing on the cake!

Standard disclaimers: Fox prices bad. Fox region coding bad. Fox grain-elimination bad. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because some of us don't want to spend over $100 for a boxset of movies in which only one of them is a title that many of us are really in love with and want to have in their collection. Those of us that bought the "Blade Runner" suitcase in which I wasn't one of them could rationalize their decision based on how much they loved that film and wanted those collectables in that release. I like "Blade Runner" an awful lot, but not enough to spend that type of cash on such a release. I like Planet of the Apes probably moreso and watched it during its original theatrical run more than once, but I'm not about to spend over $100 just to have it in my collection when I know one day it will be sold separately.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I know. My enthusiasm for this set turned into a "what's wrong with you people?" rant. I love all the ape movies(the first one is really in a class by itself) and I can see why many will skip this until a single release. I'm still jazzed about this release, and hopefully I'll have enough cash set aside to pick it up.
Sorry If I got carried away.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I can't wait to see the featurette for "Beneath". Beneath the Planet of the Apes Used to be played a lot on a Saturday afternoon horror show "Creature Feature". My brother, and I used to watch it every time it was on.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I suspect that much like the Star Trek HD DVD, this will be considerably less than the list price on release day.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I see two different prices in the press release. $159.98 and $179.98. Am I seeing that right? Is the DVD actually more than the blu-ray?

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.