What's new

Planet Earth: The Complete Series Reviews (HD DVD & BD) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw a clip from it but not in hi rez. It looks impressive in terms of never seen before footage. I wouldn't mind getting this myself. Unfortunately, 90 bucks Canadian before taxes and shipping is just too high a price for something that I will only watch once.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Edwin...

I've got about half of this series sitting on my DVR at the moment in HD. You'd be amazed at the replay potential of this material. I've watched several segments multiple times. Some of the things caught on camera on Planet Earth are nothing short of amazing! Also, as HD Demo material, it is really second to none...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I purposefully passed on the series when it aired knowing the HD discs were coming out. Will be sitting down tonight to watch the first episode and I can't wait!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

So how does that work? And who do you contact? Does it effect the promotional discounts for BD/HD-DVD purchases (i.e. the 10% discount)?

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
the beeb is the largest broadcaster on earth, while their wildlife documentaries have been sold to pretty much every country under the sun. there seems to have been little risk behind this project, financial or otherwise. sorry but the reviewer sounds a little silly in his bombast up at the top.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Picked the HD-DVD copy of this up at Best Buy during lunch (they have the price at $99.99 but price matched my printout from Target.com showing 66.99).

I can't wait to sit down and start watching this tonight...

~Jason

Romar Armas

Second Unit

I just go to their Customer help section and use the email link. Just choose the order it refers to and let them know that you would like a price adjustment for that product. And yes, it works too with the discounts.

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my copy in the mail from Amazon....wow, incredible picture. So glad I bought this as I'm sure I'll be watching it many times over the years with various family members.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI:

For those of you who pre-ordered "Planet Earth" from Amazon, be sure to check your invoice for the reduced "$66.99 purchase price they now have advertised on their site.

My invoice had the original $69.95 charge, before the 10% BN Promotion was applied.:frowning:

When calling, I asked why the lower price wasn't automatically given, as they advertise it should be, with an e-mail notification that it was done? The lady said if the price is lowered after the item is sent to shipping, it would be skipped, hence no reduction.:eek:

Got an additional $2.96 off for the call, which was credited to my charge card.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
The BBC HD test transmissions via satellite have been showing Planet Earth on heavy rotation for the last few months. Given the finite space on my hard disc recorder, I was happy to get this on Blu-Ray.

The BBC broadcasts seem, to my eyes, to use a pretty high bit rate, and hence these discs look equivalent to the transmissions which is pretty darned fine!

Shame the Planet Earth "diary" pieces are missing as these were used in the UK to bulk the transmission out to 60 minutes, but overall this is an excellent set of discs.

Just like to echo earlier sentiments - this is exactly the sort of programming that only the BBC would do. Its a cliche to say this is down to the "unique way in which the BBC is funded" but its true - and I speak as a very contented licence fee payer. The BBC is a bargain and is a crown jewel of British culture.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My copy will be here Friday! :) I still say it's rather cool that this is selling so well on both formats. Something educational and sheer beauty...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks