What's new

Planet Earth: Record Breaking HD Revenues (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Seems while Planet Earth disk sets were not the best selling High Def releases (even though it did not do bad, for HD and BD), they take the top prize for revenue generation.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This does NOT support the notions that (1) Amazon isn't representative when sales figures are concerned, and (2) a bunch of guys planning a group-buy can make all the difference.

This, simply, is a highly regarded and wanted box set apparently. And what's interesting: a documentary, not a movie. And relatively expensive as well.

Cees

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
I think what this proves or hints at, is that most of the high def buyers are still only the enthusiasts.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

True somewhat but we are an educated bunch. :)....Just be thankful this is outselling Dukes Of Hazzard. :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If there was ever a 'Nature' set that deserved to sell, this is absolutely the one. In all estimations, Planet Earth is a landmark in this type of programming. There is hardly a moment of the nearly 10 hours that is not totally mesmerizing; a wonder to behold. And all of this in a well produced and mastered HD release. Kudo's to BBC, and to Warner for bringing it out on both HD formats. It would have almost been criminal if this would have been released by one of the exclusive studios.

BTW, my (almost) 5 year old granddaughter loves 'Planet Earth', almost as much as 'Sponge Bob'. That in itself is a glowing testimonial on 'Planet Earth'

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

How do you figure. Since the Neilsen numbers became available it's become very apparent that there is *very little* to be gleaned from the Amazon numbers.

And as for the buy days affecting Amazon...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Cees,

I find the double-negative above to be confusing. That said, I still contend that Amazon is, on the whole, not representative of HD optical media sales. And I do think it can be easily influenced by 'buy days' as Brett said.

I see this simply as the case of the best-selling HD optical media title is also the best-selling HD optical media title on Amazon. Kind of like when The Matrix in SD was the best-selling, I imagine it was the same on Amazon.

Frankly, all this talk of sales figures as they relate to which format is out-performing the other is really starting to wear thin with me. I know we weren't exactly going down that road.

I think we should just be happy some titles are doing well regardless of the flavor. Any progress is good, IMO.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

I'm very surprised by the demand for this myself. I can't go a day at my dayjob without having at least one customer ask for this on either format... yet my store doesn't carry it on either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks