What's new

placement of surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
So my ceiling is only 7ft. on one side and about 6'3" on the other because of a cold air return. My new surrounds are 19" tall. I know that I ideally I should have the speakers at about 7'. How close is to close to the ceiling? and how low is to low to the listening possition?

Thanks!

Brad

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Coming from stuff I've been reading:
For home theater: ranges from just high enough to clear heads, to ear level when standing, to 2-3 feet above heads when seated. Experiment! Find what sounds good to you but keep same height for both. Try 6' first. I find that just right for me. The spaciousness doesn't sound too high for me. But that's me. It's your system.

For 5.1 audio: 48 inch reference height for all speakers and up to 15 degrees more upward with reference to seat on rears if desired per Dolby. See Figure 3.3 for furthur info.

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
David,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't use 6' because my ceiling on the one side is 6'3". The link to the dolby site was helpful, but Imoticed that it was for mixing music. I went to the Dolby site and found there PDF for home listening. They suggest 2-3 feet above the listening position and just slightly behind the listening position. My concern was how close is to close to the ceiling? before you get nasty reflections.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks