What's new

Place Names - Just Plain Odd (1 Viewer)

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
PA is full of them over in PA Dutch country...Intercourse, Paradise...went to school at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. Town was named on Christmas Eve by Moravians who are pretty religious folks.

Also, I believe Paducah, KY is between Possumm Trot and Monkey's Eyebrown.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Personally I always found it curious that there are places called Paris, London and Moscow in the United States.
Of course we pronounce it differently here. Instead of saying the last part like 'cow' we say it like 'co' as in cocoa. I used to live near there and the natives didn't like it when you said their town like the Russian equiv. :)

Pamela, the term "intercourse" is not simply a sexual term which we know today. It can also mean, "Dealings or communications between persons or groups."

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I'm about 3 hours away from the town of Dildo, Newfoundland.

They have a celebration every summer, called Dildo Days.

I kid you not.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Of course we pronounce it differently here. Instead of saying the last part like 'cow' we say it like 'co' as in cocoa. I used to live near there and the natives didn't like it when you said their town like the Russian equiv
Dear God, I know that pain. I live near a Berlin, Wisconsin. BUR-lin, not the normal Ber-LIN. God have mercy on your soul if you got it wrong...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
New York City, New York (There is no Old York City, or even a York City)
What's the "official" name of NYC? On most postal addresses, I see "New York, NY100##" etc, suggesting that the official name of the city is just "New York", with "City" only added in common use to distinguish it from the state. Can any Nu Yawkers shed light on the subject?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Vulcan, Alberta. They have a huge Star Trek Convention there every year.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Pamela, the term "intercourse" is not simply a sexual term which we know today. It can also mean, "Dealings or communications between persons or groups."
Gee, I think I already know that. But thanks for the lesson.:rolleyes

Walt N

Second Unit
There's a town near where I live in Kentucky called "Beaver Lick". It's next to "Big Bone Lick" State Park.

Seriously. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks