1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

PIXAR "UP" DVD Problem

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joey Gunz, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Well-Known Member

[SIZE= larger]I couldn't find a thread about this so I'm wondering if the problem lies with my DVD player (it's a Sony brand - around 2 or 3 years old). Or if the problem only concerns DVD rentals.[/SIZE]

I rented Pixar's "UP" from Netflix and cannot get the Title screen/menu to work. This means I can't access the "Chapters", "Subtitles" or any "Extras" (if there are any).

Instead, when I put the DVD in the player, the theatrical previews will start and then the movie plays automatically. Even when the movie is finished and the ending credits finish rolling, you still cannot access the menu because it goes right back to the previews and plays the movie again automatically. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Well-Known Member

I don't have the disc yet, but it sounds like this disc is designed this way. I'm assuming that you bought the Blu-Ray combo pack? The marketing makes it sounds like the DVD is a freebie copy along with the blu-ray and that there are no extras for the DVD copy. I would try it on another player and see.

3. Joey Gunz

It's a rental disc from Netflix. I have the same problem when I tried playing it my other players: Movie works fine but there's no "menu" or "title" screen. It's pretty weird. Since no one else seems to have a problem, I'm going to take a guess that it's an issue affecting "rental" discs only. At least I was able to watch the movie so I'm happy about that.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing but the DVD copy included with the Blu-ray is actually disc one of the two disc DVD set (with the featurettes that aren't included on the one disc DVD edition).

I think at most stores, you'll actually save money buying the Blu-ray set over the two disc DVD and get all the same content and the Blu-ray discs.

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

All of the online rental versions do not have menus, just previews and the movie. If you put this disc in a computer, the disc file lists it as "up_rental_version". This is just like the old vhs days.

6. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Does this save money on producing the DVD or are they just giving a bare bones DVD for rental, hoping people will go out and buy the disc for the extras? Looks again like the studios are trying to kill the rental market.

7. Joey Gunz

Ah, then that explains it. Well, then there's a serious problem with that because there's no subtitles - at least there's none on the "Up" rental. And there's no closed-caption either. So the hearing impaired who want to see ths film are going to have a problem with this movie if they're renting from Netflix. I tried accessing the subtitle on the disc and couldn't. So I turned on the TV set's closed caption and still there was nothing.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Well-Known Member

Does the rental copy allow you to skip through chapters or is that disabled as well?

9. Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason Premium
    Supporter

Patrick
    These rental versions are going to start becoming very common. Many upcoming releases are authored this way, the studios are trying to beef up their dwindling sell-through numbers.

10. Joey Gunz

While there's no "Chapter Menu" screen, you can still skip through the chapters while you're watching the movie.

If they continue to do this with upcoming titles, hopefully they'll allow subtitles for those just wanting to rent instead of buy. It's inexcusable to not have this option for the hearing impaired - especially in this day & age when it's taken for granted that nearly every movie & tv show is subtitled (especially the MAJOR ones).

By the way, people who rented the film from Netflix are now starting to post their complaints on its website. I took a sample screenshot a few minutes ago. Click the link below:

LINK

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

Just for the record, I purchased the four-disc Blu-ray package, and the DVD of the movie included with that package provides "regular" Menu features with full access to subtitles, audio options, and Bonus Features (including the two animated shorts).

I purchased that package at my local Wal-Mart, and I couldn't help but notice that the Redbox machine at the front entrance to that location had "Up" available for rental for $1.00! I bet that's the reason there are now "rental only" discs manufactured in this fashion. I fully agree that the subtitles *have* to be available on those discs!

12. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin

I wouldn't say it saves money, but it makes it more difficult for rentailers to sell their rental copies once the popularity declines for that title. FOX did the same thing with "Slumdog Millionaire" on DVD, but ending up with a packaging snafu when those rental discs accidentally made it into retail boxes.

To make matters worse, Netflix is in negotiaitions with the studios on a 30-day window on new releases (meaning new titles may not be available until 30 days after initial release). The article was published in Video Business.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    I just watched a rental Blu-ray copy of Four Christmases and it was the same.
    No menu at all except for a language option.

There was subtitles of about 4 different languages but you have to use the subtitles button on the remote.

for the op did you try the subtitle button?

14. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

Thank for the information. I understand what is happening now.

15. Joey Gunz

Yes. It didn't work at all. And I even tried the TV set's "closed caption" option (since many DVDs have subtitles & closed captioning) but that didn't work either.

Other people who rented the "UP" DVD from Netflix also have the same problem as me. It seems that it's just the standard rental DVDs that are having the "no subtitles" issue. From what you've said, "UP" rental Blu-ray discs appear to be unaffected. I'm not sure how widespread this is. It's definitely affected Netflix but I wonder if Blockbuster online has the same problem with their standard DVDs of "UP".

16. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Well-Known Member

Is the Blu-ray rental disc any different from the retail disc?

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    I think it was disc 1 from the set.

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

A lot of DVDs would be better off without menus anyways (remembering Shrek- "Pick me, oh, pick ME!" "Play the movie, ja, play!")

That is pretty ironic if the main character of "Up" is hard-of-hearing and there are no captions or subtitles. I'm still wondering if any visually-impaired people complained about the few discs out there that have descriptive audio tracks, but have the Audio button disabled so they have to be selected through the menu, which of course would be hard if you can't see well.

19. JimKr

JimKr Well-Known Member

I'm getting alot of rentals from Netflix lately with no subs. Dexter season 3 for instance. I guess it's possible the retail has none also but I'm guessing renters will now be getting "less" features than buyers.

20. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I just read somewhere, and now I can't find where, that the lack of subtitles was a mistake. They did not leave them out on purpose.

I have no idea if they are going to fix the rental discs and restock Netflix with corrected versions however.

-Keith