What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Disc set and Universal/ Dreamworks Animated film news. (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Nope, it was widescreen only, a rare case of a Disney or BV title not being available in fullscreen the first time around. There is also nothing available on other Region releases which could be included, unless they wanted to include the 19 deleted or extended scenes into the film. They run about 20 minutes altogether which would bring the run time to about 163 minutes, over 2 and a half hours. This is waht the dleted and extended scenes offer, but I can't see a re-release of a director's cut being warranted.

Meet Will Turner (0:43): Slightly lengthened intro of Will.
Carriage Ride (0:35): Elizabeth gets a brief talk from her father.
A Change In The Wind (0:59): Extended look at the wind change scene.
Only One Shot (0:36): A few extra lines between Jack and Will, while escaping Port Royal.
Peep Show (0:53): Another wooden-eye gag on the Black Pearl.
All Is Well (0:24): More dialogue on Tortuga.
Make It Last (0:33): Short exchange in the pub on Tortuga.
A Bit Of A Stick (0:33): Will makes a fool of himself in Tortuga.
It's Begun (1:09): Jack and Will on the way to rescue Elizabeth.
The French (0:44): More improvisation from Depp and the other pirates.
Not All That Big (1:43): More dialogue between Jack and Elizabeth while on the island.
No Truth At All (2:08): See above.
Accepting The Proposal (2:07): Elizabeth talks to Norrington about his proposal.
Peas In A Pod (1:04): Jack and Elizabeth talk briefly.
Take A Walk (0:51): Extended start to the final pirate attack.
Let Them Eat Cake (0:31): Pirates argue about what they'll eat first.
The Immortal Captain Jack (1:03): Jack removes his own curse.
Good Luck (0:39): An extension to the final parrot scene.
Happy Ending (0:54): Extra comments from Norrington at the conclusion of the story

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'm neutral on the PQ on the original release. However, I will only be purchasing the new one if and only if the get rid of all the Edge Enhancements. The PQ on the first release wasn't aweful, but it wasn't good either. I really don'w want all the added crap. I never watch bonus material anyways. Git rid of the EE and clean up the picture, I'll buy.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It's the existing 2-Disc Collector's Edition plus a 3rd disc called "The Lost Disc" with 8 new bonus features.

Here's a look at the gift set:

I've posted the full-sized artwork at UltimateDisney.com.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
My god, I can't understand why the studios make that!!! :angry:

The re-re-re-re-re-re-release have to stop, it become stupid! :thumbsdown:

I'll stick with my current edition!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Unless one of those bonus features includes some Keira Knightly post-18 nudity, then this is a no sale for me.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
What a joke! Looks like they took a page from Columbia/Tri-Star and their Spider-Man "Deluxe Edition". Nice try Disney, but I'll be keeping the 2-disc set I bought last year. :thumbsdown:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yeah, 2004 is fast becoming "The Year of the Double-Dip". I have no trouble passing on this one, though.

Chris

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The ultimatedisney.com website reports the running time of the 'Lost Disc' as 69 minutes.

Since there can't be any promotional material for the sequel (since they haven't started shooting yet), it looks like this could be interesting after all.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Interesting, maybe, but in my mind there can't possibly be anything on that disc that will warrant a second purchase.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Any news on what those 8 bonus features on "The Lost Disc" will be?

I hope they include the trailers.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Last I'd read, they were planning to shoot two back to back and then release them six months apart in 2006. But that was back in June, during a Keira Knightley interview in Time pre-King Arthur. So it may have changed.

If they include the trailers/TV spots, then I might consider a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If anyone is interested in trying to get Buena Vista to make the "Lost" disc available without re-buying the original 2-disc package...you can read HERE about my attempt to give it the ol' college try.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, this whole 3 disc endevour looks like nothing more then a promotional stunt. I've been thinking of it as a Best Buy exclusive disc without the need to go to the store. Very disapointing from Disney :thumbsdown:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The re-release doesn't really bother me. It's not some evil plan to get people to double dip (ala Columbia/Tristar). Beleive it or not there are people who haven't bought Pirates yet and may have been on the fence about it. This gives those people some incentive to buy without making the current 2disc set stock worthless to disney. They pack on the 3rd disc and sell to all the people who haven't bought it yet with minimal extra cost. They're not charging any more for the 3disc set than they did for the 2disc (both were $19.99 at best buy last time i looked) so it's not like people are paying extra for the 3rd disc. I thought the PQ of the 2disc was fine and it's not like they put a ton of effort in to the 3disc set when they could have done a new master. Nobody has to buy the 3disc set that already has the 2disc set. If you want the third disc buy the new set and sell the second copy of pirates on half.com. As much as i agree w/ people on this forum about multiple releases and double dipping and studios beeing greedy by re-releasing I really don't think this is one of those cases. They're just trying to help sell the stock they have by packing on another disc while still keeping the price the same.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If we go along with your line of thinking Stephen, then the company shouldn't mind making the "lost" disc available to those who already got the 2-disc set and want to see the features. As long as it still gets the job done of convincing fence-sitters to buy the release, there's no harm in releasing it to those who never got up on the fence. Certainly, people are not going to buy the "lost disc" and not buy the 2-disc, right? Wouldn't make sense.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Making the Lost Disc available seperately for those who have already purchased the 2disc set would be nice of Disney, if nothing else they could sell it for $5 via mail or online order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks