What's new

Pirate Radio (aka The Boat That Rocked) - The new film from Richard Curtis - November 13th (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Didn't see a thread for this movie, so I thought it was fine time for one. So here we go....

Originally set for release on August 28th by Universal until given to the Independent division of Focus Features and rescheduled for release in just a couple of weeks, The Boat That Rocked was one of my most anticipated movies of the summer, and despite a change of title, studio, release date, and an article that stated it would be trimmed here in America, the film (now known as Pirate Radio) still remains one of my most anticipated for the year.

Even though I myself have already seen what International audiences have been enjoying for the last few months (thanks to a Blu-Ray I've imported from the UK. How I love region-free playback discs!), I'm still willing to pay admission to see the film on the big screen. Trimmed or not trimmed, this is undoubtedly one of the best times I've had with a movie this year and if for nothing else, the amazing soundtrack is the biggest reason behind it, featuring a lot of classic tunes (and some old ones I'll admit I've never heard of until this movie).

The cast is uniformally excellent, whith Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans, and Tom Sturridge bringing in the best performances. The only slight fault I can find with the movie might be the script, which is just a little too episodic for my nature, but knowing that that was the intention (Richard Curtis has even stated in interviews that the biggest inspirations for the movie were Animal House and M*A*S*H, and it follows that formula quite well). Still, the execution of the material is so good that the script problem is just a minor hiccup.

It's hard to resist this movie. It fluctuates from being a very funny comedy to a very bittersweet film at times, and also has a finale that is just terrific. However, this is a film that will most likely split audiences down the middle You'll either love it or it will get on your nerves. Much like Love Actually did six years ago. Like I mentioned earlier though, the soundtrack is the only thing that might put it in between for some.

Which brings me into something else: The marketing Focus Features has created for the film. False advertising is the order of the day here it seems. First off, Philip Setymour Hoffman is not the ring leader. That's Bill Nighy's character. Jack Davenport's character mentions Hoffman's character is "the most famous broadcaster ever" which is not true. That reveal is for a different character entirely. and the biggest is that this is "inspired by True Events." The big problem there is not really that, but the way it exploits that information. The British government never actually banned rock 'n' roll on the radio. The truth was that BBC Radio only played about an hour or two of pop music a day (And these do not spoil anything, so I don't want to hear that I gave away anything because I really didn't). And while were at it, I feel bad that Universal/Focus is opening this as counter programming to 2012. Everyone will see that. Who know how many will actually see this? I know I will, but that might not be enough.

So....anyone else looking forward to Pirate Radio on November 13th?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Look, I have always been a Richard Curtis fan. Anyone who has spent that much time with Rowan Atkinson gets a huge thumbs up from me.

This is his second directing effort (the first "Love, Actually" is a surprisingly effective film, IMHO, and I love it). But as a writer, he is one of th best comedy and tragic comedy writers of our time, who unfortunately doesn't get enough pub here in the US. I have always felt as though "Black Adder Goes Forth" is maybe one of the greatest comedy achievements as a series.. ever. The final episode to that is amongst the best ever filmed.

I've seen the trailers and the snippets for this, but the moment I saw him as both the writer and the director I was on board. I will absolutely be there on opening day.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing that I don't get: The avertising makes it sound like the Hoffman boat was the only offshore broadcaster out there. If I recall my History of Media Arts class correctly, there were numerous pirate broadcasters on boats and oil rigs. I think some of them took control of an old WWII-era Maunsell sea fort off the coast of the UK and declared themselves a sovreign nation: Sealand or something.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I believe it was one of the last ones going, though.. many had been shut down by the end of 1965 as being within the territory of the UK

http://www.sealandnews.com/category/pirate-radio/

I just looked over the cast list.. it looks almost like the whole cast of "The IT Crowd" is in it. And January Jones?

Great cast all around: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131729/fullcredits#cast

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
So if theatre websites are to be believed, then I can confirm that Pirate Radio has in fact been recut. The new runtime is listed at most sites at 115 minutes.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Saw it last night and thought it was awesome. They got the American version right for the most part. Like the UK cut, this is the most fun you'll have at the movies this year. It doesn't matter which cut you watch. It will satisfy your craving for fun.

PatH

Second Unit
Any chance to get a director's cut of this when it comes to DVD, preferably with all the deleted scenes edited back in in their proper order.
Probably not, of course. And how much will the soundtrack we have be altered for the DVD release because of music rights? There's already no Beatles, as noted in a review linked somewhere above, but at least that was apparently never there in the first place. I worry, though, that Universal, with its history of dropping music at the slightest hint of extra cost, won't even let us have the music we got to hear in our theaters.

PatH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PatH

I worry, though, that Universal, with its history of dropping music at the slightest hint of extra cost, won't even let us have the music we got to hear in our theaters.
I'd say there's about zero chance that they didn't license the music for home video as well as the theater.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this today: what a mess! It starts well but really goes astray before too long. The scene after Simon's wedding night is what loses me. The filmmakers can't decide if they should play it as comedy or drama, although it's a cruel, heartbreaking sequence.

The characters are paper-thin, and the movie can't focus on any subject for very long - it's a mish-mash of loosely connected threads. Crud, they couldn't even get the MUSIC right much of the time, as musical anachronisms abound.

The cast's good - especially Branagh - but the flick's just rambling and a serious case of diminishing returns. The first 30 minutes are pretty good, but then it gets more and more tiresome. The "climax" is awful, and the movie feels like it's about four hours long.

Major disappointment!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Saw this today: what a mess!
That's what I've been hearing a lot of.
Darn shame, I was really excited about this when I saw the trailer.
There is a lot of radio in my history, and some of it was pirate.
I'll probably rent this down the line so I can check out the movie plus the deletions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks