What's new

PIRANHA 3DD (Teaser/Trailer) (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The horrible year for horror continues.
I wasn't a fan of the original but this sequel is incredibly cheap. There's really nothing new here as this is basically a rip of the first one. Pretty much the only difference is that this here takes place at a water park. The CGI fish are pretty bad looking. The gore level is down from the previous one but I'd say the nudity is about on target. There's a piranha rape scene and apparently the director thought it was funny to see the fish attack sex organs. There are several cameos including Gary Busey, Christopher Plummer and Clu Gulager but the one that REALLY works is David Hasselhoff. He spoofs his image here and I must admit that I thought it was quite funny and was probably the highlight of the film. Ving Rhames is back but don't ask.
I rented this from Amazon so I didn't get to see how good (or bad) the 3D was but there really wasn't too much stuff coming out towards the screen. This carries a running time of 83-minutes but it's actually 70-minutes without the end credits. The end credits take up about 13-minutes because there are some outtakes and other things. This shouldn't be too much of a shock as the entire thing has a very cheap feel to it and it's just barely above MEGA PIRANHA and other SyFy films.
:star::half:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I shelled out $17.50 for the only showing of the film in NYC - at an arthouse theater, of all places! Well, it was an AMC theater but it was a small one in the East Village so technically it was an arthouse theater. The 3D effects were minimal and of a gimmicky quality, the kind we all like to complain about: things being thrown at you, stuff coming toward you, etc. Not worth the extra money. In a couple of instances the action onscreen actually became blurry to the point where I couldn't tell what was going on and had to remove my glasses temporarily.
The film itself was OK. A step BELOW the original remake. Not a complaint - I still had fun watching the film but there was something missing. Maybe it should've gone straight to video? It was nice to see Christopher Lloyd back from the first film but his casting is a mystery to me. Did they pick his name out of a hat of retired actors? David Hasselhoff appearing in the film made more sense (dude must be approaching 70 :eek:) because he was riffing his Baywatch character. Gary Busey was looking a bit elderly as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott /t/315612/piranha-3dd-teaser-trailer#post_3934220
There are several cameos including Gary Busey, Christopher Plummer and Clu Gulager but the one that REALLY works is David Hasselhoff.

You mean Christopher Lloyd. I nearly spit out my beverage when I saw Plummer's name listed - somehow I don't see him in a cheap horror movie!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
elDomenechHTF said:
Maybe it should've gone straight to video?
It pretty much did. It was only released on 85 screens, and was available via video-on-demand the same day it hit theaters (I think it was $6.99 on Amazon).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure if it's true but I read at a horror forum that the studio pulled the November 2011 release date just so they could cut the film down.
I said this in the other PIRANHA thread but I just find it downright insane that a film that wasn't really a hit could get a sequel going not long after it was released. I'm still not sure why they went ahead with this picture and I'm really not sure why they dropped $20 million on its budget (although some are saying $10 million). It's easy to see why they pulled the film from its wide release because it would have been nuts for them to spend another $15 on promotion.
The Amazon rental is $7 for 48 hours.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Michael Elliott said:
I'm not sure if it's true but I read at a horror forum that the studio pulled the November 2011 release date just so they could cut the film down.
I said this in the other PIRANHA thread but I just find it downright insane that a film that wasn't really a hit could get a sequel going not long after it was released. I'm still not sure why they went ahead with this picture and I'm really not sure why they dropped $20 million on its budget (although some are saying $10 million). It's easy to see why they pulled the film from its wide release because it would have been nuts for them to spend another $15 on promotion.
The Amazon rental is $7 for 48 hours.
I went into this without even knowing who the director was. Turns out it was John Gulager, a guy best known for cranking out cheapo sequels to a film he was moderately successful with on home video (FEAST). Further investigation led me to Neo Art & Logic, the production company responsible for all those endless Dimension sequels for Hellraiser, Children Of the Corn, Dracula and others in the 90's and early 2000's. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Piranha in a couple of years. One thing is certain: I'm not paying $17.50 again for the priviledge of watching it in a theater (if it ever makes it to one)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I remember John Gulager. The third and final season of Project Greenlight followed the making of Feast. I think I have it on HD-DVD but never got around to watching it. Wow, there are sequels? :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aaron Silverman said:
I remember John Gulager. The third and final season of Project Greenlight followed the making of Feast. I think I have it on HD-DVD but never got around to watching it. Wow, there are sequels? :)
Really bad sequels. The first was worth watching, but I'd warn everyone away from the sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks