1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer VSX-D812 and 2 channel hi-rez audio

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave - A, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Dave - A

Dave - A Well-Known Member

Dave
    Hi everyone,

I have the above mentioned receiver and was wondering about how to hook it up to get the best sound when listening to 2 channel SACD or DVD-A (I don't have the player yet, I'm waiting for the s1500). Should I listen through the 7.1 DVD output or should I have a separate hook up from the mixed 2 channel output?
    The receiver will not let you use the loudness or tone controls when in 7.1 mode but will when playing through the 2 channel output. So I was wondering if the sound is down converted through the 2 channel out.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Well-Known Member

Rachael Bellomy
    Try it both ways, kuntry & western. Hook 'em up and see. You'll get the purest sound through the L & R of the 5.1 input but you may not like that if you don't have full-range towers...?

3. Ken Mui

Ken Mui Member

This particular unit has a direct mode for 2 channels which bypasses all extraneous bells and whistles like tone control, dsp, etc. It is not usually found in a receiver and moreso in high end preamps, very surprise to find such a feature. Hook it up to analog and this will get you the purist sound you're looking for.