What's new

Pioneer VSX-D8112 and "Advanced Surround" Options (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver, Sony SS-MB300H mains, ss-mc490 center, and 4 ss-mb100h surrounds in a quasi 7.1 setup. I also have a 120watt 10" subwoofer.

I also have a panasonic rp56 prog scan dvd, a Hitachi 43" hdtv, and an older Hughes gold dtv receiver.

I love my receiver and speaker setup (especially w/ dts-es and dolby-ex material).

My question concerns the "Advanced Surround" option, which seems to be some sort of pioneer proprietary dsp setting meant to assist DPL2, NEO6, DD, and DTS decoding.

I'm a bit confused about how exactly it works.

From analog sources, does is do some sort of dsp processing after DPL2 or NEO6 decodes, or does it use a completely different set of decoding instructions?

From digital sources, does it do some sort of dsp processing after the DD EX or DTS ES is done, or does it use some different decoding?

I can't tell a large amount of difference in analog or digital mode, which leads me to believe it is some sort of post-processing that takes place after the initial decoding... but which decoding is done first (when in advanced surround mode, you can't pick between DPL2 and NEO6).

I would be greatly appreciative if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could enlighten me on the workings of this system.

For now, i'll just stick w/ NEO6 Cinema and leave the "advanced surround" off until i know what it really does and how it works.

Thanks!

S. Hopkins

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Stephen, I'm not sure exactly how it works either but I can say that I've found all those advanced DSP surround modes to be useless on my 811S. They either create too much echo effect or don't do anything. My advice would be to just stick with the "basics." I was glad to see Pioneer dropped some of their more annoying DSP modes for music such as Hall1, Hall2, etc.

cheers,

--tom

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
same here, thomas is right, I also found advance surround modes on 811s useless, I like basic decoding better.

LinChen

Agent
The only advence surround mode i occasionally use is 6-channel stereo (The two-channel direct mode is most frequently used for music cds).

aldamon

Second Unit
The only advanced surround mode I use is 6-Channel Stereo. It's a nice way to break in all of the speakers.

I've a Pioneer VSX-810, with 6 10" speakers (100 watts) each with a med and tweeter plus subw; I think the music will be sound better if I buy two 100 watts floor standing speakers with more elements. I've seen a Sony speakers with 80 watts and 4 elements. Am I right? Using two full size speakers will enhance my stereo sound?

Jean H//

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks