What's new

Pioneer VSX-1014-S Receiver (1 Viewer)

Steve>JF

Agent
I have the ability to purchase a brand new Pioneer VSX-1014-S receiver for $199 shipping free, no tax. I know it is not the latest model (there is a VSX-1015), but the price seems pretty good. It will be used mostly for home theater, not music. I'm comparing it to the Yamaha HTR-5850 I can get for $299. The Yamaha is XM radio ready, but I am not interested in XM radio. Should I get the Pioneer, or pay a little more for Yamaha or something else? Thanks for the advice in advance!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a 1014 and while it didn't quite live up to all the hype (how could it), it's still a nice avr, especially at $199. Pro's: Lots of features, good build quality, adequate power output and a nice remote. Con's: not very "musical", video up-conversion produced noticable lines on the screen, MCACC came up with some strange numbers, not as powerful as expected (but powerful enough), no 8 channel input button on the remote (man am I lazy). The right/front channel was also a little less powerful than the left. If music was your main focus I'd say look elsewhere, though the "Advanced Music" mode helps. For a movie based setup, the 1014 is a very good in-expensive choice. Sorry, but I've yet to spend any quality time with a Yamaha, but I'm sure someone who has will chime in.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the yamaha RX-V630 and Pioneer 1014. The yamaha is much better with music and, IMHO, better with movies. The pioneer did do a better job with TV (go figure!). At $199, I might still consider the pioneer if it were mainly for movies.

Andy_A

Second Unit
At that price it is a no-brainer. In fact, let me know if you don't buy it and I will..

Steve>JF

Agent
Thanks for the help, all. I thonk I'm going to get the Pioneer. I can't pass it up at the price, even if I find it really isn't that good of a receiver.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Apparently so. But when it first came out it offered allot of features at a very good price. Then other brands finally got around to offering comparable models for about the same money. Add to that expectations that were a bit out of line with reality, and a sound only it's mother could love (calm down, I'm only kidding. Man I'm going to get allot of hate mail for that one :b ) and the 1014/1015 has become the forgotten step-child. Still, there's allot to like about them. And $199 is a very good price indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks