What's new

Pioneer vs JVC receiver (1 Viewer)

apr4049

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
Looking at a Pioneer VSX-1016 vs JVC RXD702b...

JVC: hdmi, 150wpc, mp3 wireless link

Pioneer: hdmi, 110wpc, mo mp3 link

I really like the mp3 wireless link, i'm really just powering a set of cerwin vega VE-15's

just looking for some input and to see if they are any other alternatives in that price range with similiar features.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
note that the Pioneer's 1016 HDMI doesn't do audio, and you'd still need to connect the coax/optical

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

I had no idea that was the case. I have been using pioneer products for some time now as well as HDMI amt have never heard of an HDMI receiver that did not pass audio and that's the point of HDMI. Here is a copy of text from page 41 of the 1016's owner's manual

Connecting using HDMI
If you have a HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) equipped component,
you can connect it to this receiver using a commercially
available HDMI cable.
The HDMI connection transfers uncompressed digital
video, as well as almost every kind of digital audio that the
connected component is compatible with, including
DVD-Video, DVD-Audio (see below for limitations), Video
CD/Super VCD, CD and MP3.

This is a great receiver as far as features go and I love the clarity and richness of the pioneer sound (especially when combined with JB L series speakers)

The MP3 link on the JVC is cool. My only question would be how often do you plan to use the cool features? I have a PIO 84 and do not use the cool features as much as I thought I would and could have saved a little bit of coin by buying a 82. Just a though. Hope this helps.

Happy hunting.

I stand Corrected, it goes on to say

3 To hear audio from your HDMI component through
this system, make analog and/or digital connections as
necessary.

On the rear panel, you must connect to the audio jacks
from a set of audio/video inputs (for example,
DVR/VCR1
or
DVR/VCR2
as shown in the illustration).
• Without this connection, HDMI audio will still be
output from your TV or plasma display (though no
sound will be heard from this receiver)

Nice Catch FeisalK!!!thanks for educating us!!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Anthony

FeisalK is absolutely correct. The Pioneer 1016 doesn't do audio over HDMI. From my past experience JVC is not very popular. I can recommend receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo. Please keep in touch with me.

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
I am going to have to take that one off of my list

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I wouldn't let the "MP3 wireless" feature of the JVC affect your buying decision. For one thing, you would still need a wireless router set-up for your PC/MP3 device to communicate with the JVC. Adding this feature to -any- receiver is quite simple with after market products from Logitech, D-Link, etc. Also, the 150wpc claimed by JVC is rated for 6 ohm speakers. A little dishonest if you ask me so they could publish a higher number. The Pioneer 110wpc claim is for 8 ohm speakers which should equate to roughly 150-165wpc on 6 ohm speakers...

In your price range, I'd look at an Onkyo 604 or 674 which does do audio over HDMI.

For Yamaha and Denon, you would have to up your budget a little to get HDMI with the Yamaha 5990/1700 or the Denon 2307. Both solid receivers.

Best of luck

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Anthony

I agree with John Brill:

I would also look at the Onkyo 604, and the 674. I also agree with John Brill with regard to the Yamaha receivers and especially the Denon 2307.

Best Regards

apr4049

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the input and i will look at the onkyo, but another question is has any had an experiance with the..

Sony STR-DG800 ?

I'm not too worried about the reciever using the hdmi audio as the only have one hdmi device and it has optical output.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

I'd stay away from a non ES line of Sony receivers.

If HDMI is not a needed feature, you've just opened up your field of choice to any of the entry level models from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc, etc.

I personally like Yamaha's but any receiver in this grouping is definitely worth considering and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I never understood Pioneer's decision regarding the HDMI audio.

Also I agree with the USB/wireless stuff - if you have (or are planning) a lot of music on your hard disk better invest in a Squeezebox and get the receiver you best like the sound of.

Anthony, add the Panasonic XR57 to the investigation :)

apr4049

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
well now i got 5 different ones to look at but i think i ruled out jvc and sony...

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV-K $430
-110w per channel
-HDMI, no audio
-3 optical inputs
-Component video Upconversion

Onkyo TX-SR604 $500
-90w per channel
-HDMI, audio and video
-4 optical inputs

Sony STR-DG800 $270
-110w per channel
-HDMI, passthrough
-3 optical inputs

JVC RXD702B $570
-110w per channel
-HDMI, passthrough
-3 optical inputs
-HDMI video Upconversion
-Wireless mp3 link

Panasonic SA-XR57K $270
-100w per channel
-HDMI Input/Output

I have a pioneer now that i like but don't have any experiance with the others, so i'm torn right now

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Plan on getting a HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray player (PS-3) anytime in the next 2-3 years (or any other HDMI outputting source)? Want to use your receiver as a video switch when/if you do?

If the answer is yes, the Onkyo 604 would be my pick (and you can get it for less).

If the answer is no and you are comfortable with the Pioneer brand, it would be a toss up between the 2.

JB

apr4049

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
my roomate has a ps3 and we might get soemthing else hdmi sooner or later so the Onkyo 604 looks great and if i make a little more cash i could get the 674,

the last and final question is how would these do with a set of cerwin vega VE-15's?

I need to find someplace where i can hear both...

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Don't bother with the Onkyo 674, it's probably way more receiver than you realistically need. Even the 604 is probably pushing it, I wouldn't break the bank over this.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have used JVCs for the past 13-14 yrs., and have no problem recommending JVC to others. I have really enjoyed mine (different model than you're asking about). They're very easy to setup, and very user friendly.

I'm not familiar with the new digital receivers, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another JVC. I think you get lots of bang for your buck, but as I said, I haven't kept up with the new ones.
Good luck with whatever you decide on! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks