What's new

Pioneer Receiver sounding low all of a sudden (1 Viewer)

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
I have this Pioneer VSX-518 that I been using for many years and this afternoon, When I turned it on, The audio sounds very low in all the speakers, Low with distortion. The receiver has been working fine since yesterday, So I tried turning it off and on and it still sounds the same. Any idea why the receiver suddenly producing low audio?

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
schan1269 said:
sounds like either the power supply died...or a cap popped.
I guess that means I'll have to buy a new receiver soon, And this one is a couple of years old. However, If a power supply in a receiver died, Wouldn't the receiver not work at all? It still turns on like normal, Just the audio being low all of a sudden

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the power supply dies it can still "sorta function" like a dying alternator in a car. When you are "lucky" the alternator will still maintain...but not charge. By the way, 4-6 years is the "expected usefullness" of

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
schan1269 said:
If the power supply dies it can still "sorta function" like a dying alternator in a car. When you are "lucky" the alternator will still maintain...but not charge. By the way, 4-6 years is the "expected usefullness" of

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MikeCin said:
The receiver still functions like normal, Just the volume a bit lower, When I bought this receiver a long time ago, It was over the 200 dollar range and Pioneer has some new ones in that price range that offer more features like HDMI inputs and Dolby True HD and such.
Exactly what I just said..."This AVR did you a favor"...

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I can see you love your AVR. But it's gone, time to go shopping. We can help you there. What's your budget? What features do you want/need? It would probably cost more to repair than buy a brand new, shiny one.

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Brainwasher said:
I can see you love your AVR. But it's gone, time to go shopping. We can help you there. What's your budget? What features do you want/need? It would probably cost more to repair than buy a brand new, shiny one.
Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more. Anyways, When I do buy a new receiver, It will have to be around the same price range with the same number of features. This Pioneer VSX-518 is a 5.1 surround receiver, So I'll have to get another one of the same brand since they have newer 5.1 models in the same price range, But supporting Dolby True HD. The thing is I have it in a small bedroom hooked up to 6 speakers for 5.1 because, I have a Tivo, Xbox 360, PS3 all hooked up using an optical switch, Computer's audio also connected to it and other sources. a receiver like this is actually overkill for a small bedroom, But the price was good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more"... So, in other words your gonna let the AVR have a meltdown and possibly take your speakers with it...

MikeCin

Grip
Real Name
Michael
schan1269 said:
"Im not gonna buy a new one now, Its still working however, I just have to higher the volume more"... So, in other words your gonna let the AVR have a meltdown and possibly take your speakers with it...
I don't put the volume way up. in a small bedroom, you dont want to turn it into a nightclub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks