What's new

Pioneer or ps3 (1 Viewer)

jmquick

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Hi guys,

I need some help. I just purchased a Pioneer bdp-51fd blu-ray, but was thinking about returning it and just getting a ps3 instead. I won't be using it for games, just bd. I'll be running hdmi to a pioneer elite 01txh receiver. Can someone help me decide what to do?

Thank you,
Jeremy

chris.big.money

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Walter
I think you should go with the PS3. Even though you say you won't be using it for games, it's nice to have. And Sony does a great job of updating the firmware for it so you're always up to date.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Can't address the A/V question - though I assume a dedicated player would be better in those areas.

Just wanted to point out the streaming capabilities of the PS3 ie from your PC to a PS3 to a HDTV is a very big Plus and is what I use my PS3 the most for.

chris.big.money

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Walter
THis is strictly from assuming, so you'd probably be better off asking someone who's compared PS3 to a standalone. The quality should be nearly the same, especially since most players use HDMI cables just like the PS3. However, the PS3 processes sound internally, while some players send it to the receiver to process. This could cause differences, although not many.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you are happy with the Pioneer player and it performs to your satisfaction I would not get the PS3. The only reason I say this is that you say you will not be playing games so there is no point to it really. There are some capabilities the PS3 has that could be very nice but what you need to ask yourself, does it make it worth the swap? I have nothing against the PS3 and I hear it does a great job as a bluray player. It depends on your needs to weather it is a good fit in your home theater or not. Another thing to consider is if you entertain and have friends over. The PS3 could be a nice thing to have for company and friends when they come over. But again if you are happy with the Pioneer I would stick with it, hope this helps.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I sorta agree w/ Dave on this, except I'd probably go w/ a different standalone than a Pioneer, if I wanted a standalone, eg. one of the recent Panny's or maybe a recent Sony model or maybe wait for the new Oppo.

Of course, that is if I actually wanted a standalone (and am in the market for one right now). :D

Still, you probably can't go wrong w/ the PS3 over the Pioneer as long as you understand what you're getting into, eg. the remote issue, possibly noticeable fan noise (though I don't personally think it's a real issue particularly w/ the newer models), etc. For many, its various pros do far outweigh the very few cons when compared to other currently available standalones w/in the ballpark price range -- and if PQ/AQ concerns are the only things holding you back right now, I wouldn't worry about that at all as I've not heard anything superior about the Pioneer's PQ/AQ (via HDMI) so far.

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I know that the Pioneer bdp-51fd does have something over the other bluray players and that is the use of Wolfson Audio DACs. This may only be used for CD's but they also may be used if the audio is internally decoded. However I may be wrong on the dac's being used with movies. But it does have the Wolfson Audio DACs and that is a plus in my book. The issues could very well be fixed with firmware updates so it is up to you if you want to get something else.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
No contest in my mind. I'd take the PS3 over any currently available Bluray player. I use mine as solely a Bluray player.

I originally bought mine with the idea it'd be a short term Bluray player with good resale value. It has proven to be very upgradable with timely firmware and is very quick loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks