What's new

Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH No Subwoofer Sound (1 Viewer)

zeppelinofled69

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Patti
So here's what I've got: I bought this surround unit, and I haven't been able to figure out how to set get sound from my subwoofer. I have been over the manual about 30 times, and i have called Pioneer CS reps to see if they could figure it out. Nothing still. Here is what i have done so far: First, I verified that the subwoofer cable and subwoofer were still good, and I did this by testing it with another surround unit that i had lying around. After i verified that those were still good, I tried to run the MCACC auto configuration tool. Everything was good till it tried to do the sub channel. No sound. not even a faint vibration. Then i scoured the manual, trying to see if it had something to do with a subwoofer mute or perhaps the LFE setting. I could not find anything on a channel mute, and the LFE setting was a dead end (so far). This is the point in time that I called Pioneer Tech services. The guy went through all of the things I had already done, and then we checked the MCACC settings. I made sure that the speakers were set on small, all the way around, and set the subwoofer on plus. Still nothing. Then we tried adjusting the output level of the sub, and still got nothing. Finally, he had me pull the sub cable, and plug it into one of the front speaker pre-out jacks. Then I started getting a bit of sound from the sub. The conclusion that the CS rep came up with was that the Sub Pre-out jack is bad, and that I need to send the unit in for repair. I have not given up yet, but i need some help. I have been wracking by brain for any possible issue that i may have overlooked, and I'm coming up with nothing. The unit is out of warranty, so this is my final stand before I send it in. Thank you in advance.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Joseph, welcome to HTF! I can't answer your question, but I'll bet that someone can come up with some suggestions.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Something else to try is a factory reset. I think the procedure is on page 72. You'll lose all your settings though. It will default to the factory settings. Also make sure you're not using Pure Audio, especially for a two channel source. If the subwoofer output is bad maybe you can connect the front speakers straight to the subwoofer (if the sub has speaker level inputs/outputs) and use the subs crossover (set the fronts to Large and the sub to None). Not ideal but it will save some money on repairs.

zeppelinofled69

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Patti
That is something i have not tried yet. Ill try the factory reset tonight and let you know what I come up with. Thanks.

zeppelinofled69

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Patti
I should mention that I have a new subwoofer on the way that specifically has an LFE input. Before i send it in, if that's what i decide to do, I will try that. Its a long shot, but that's the basket that all of my eggs are in right now. If anyone has anything else to add, I'm all ears.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Since it is out of warranty, I would open the cover and see if you can get to the Sub out RCA connection. Perhaps something is loose on the inside that can be easily fixed? Jon

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
I have the VSX-23TXH and I had the same problem upon setup. I ran the MCACC like you did, and because my other speakers had plenty of Base in them, it actually shuts off your sub. You have an option in the MCACC setup screen to turn on/off speakers...if you are having the same problem I did (which it sounds like you are) you just have to tell your receiver to recognize your sub. I don't remember the exact sequence (I set mine up almost 2 years ago and I haven't had to do it since) but that's what it was doing. Like you, I was very perplexed for a while until I figured it out.
zeppelinofled69 said:
So here's what I've got: I bought this surround unit, and I haven't been able to figure out how to set get sound from my subwoofer. I have been over the manual about 30 times, and i have called Pioneer CS reps to see if they could figure it out. Nothing still. Here is what i have done so far: First, I verified that the subwoofer cable and subwoofer were still good, and I did this by testing it with another surround unit that i had lying around. After i verified that those were still good, I tried to run the MCACC auto configuration tool. Everything was good till it tried to do the sub channel. No sound. not even a faint vibration. Then i scoured the manual, trying to see if it had something to do with a subwoofer mute or perhaps the LFE setting. I could not find anything on a channel mute, and the LFE setting was a dead end (so far). This is the point in time that I called Pioneer Tech services. The guy went through all of the things I had already done, and then we checked the MCACC settings. I made sure that the speakers were set on small, all the way around, and set the subwoofer on plus. Still nothing. Then we tried adjusting the output level of the sub, and still got nothing. Finally, he had me pull the sub cable, and plug it into one of the front speaker pre-out jacks. Then I started getting a bit of sound from the sub. The conclusion that the CS rep came up with was that the Sub Pre-out jack is bad, and that I need to send the unit in for repair. I have not given up yet, but i need some help. I have been wracking by brain for any possible issue that i may have overlooked, and I'm coming up with nothing. The unit is out of warranty, so this is my final stand before I send it in. Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks