What's new

Pioneer Elite PRO 610-HD TV, SH-D09 Digital Tuner and CBS local HDTV (1 Viewer)

MarkBar

Auditioning
I am experiencing a serious problem with my Pioneer Elite PRO 610-HD TV and SH-D09 Digital Tuner. I have used these products together for approx. 10 months with very satisfactory results. I have Dish Network satellite service and both the Dish Network Model 6000 HDTV receiver and the Pioneer SH-D09 HDTV digital tuner share a connection to my
rooftop antenna.

This setup has worked very well in the past and I have been enjoying local HDTV broadcasts via both digital tuners depending on which one presented the better picture. Most of the time the SH-D09 had a sharper, more vivid picture with local HDTV transmissions, but was more susceptible to bad weather, weak signal transmission and other factor that are affecting HDTV signal reception during the transition from NTSC to HDTV.

WBNS 10-TV is our local CBS provider and they have been broadcasting HDTV at full signal strength for quite a while. It almost always has the strongest signal and best picture of the four local HD channels available in the area. Two weeks ago the SH-D09 stopped decoding the the CBS signal. The signal is there. The SH-D09 receives the signal, locks on to it and shows a signal strength of between 90% and 100%. But the screen is blank and there is no sound. When I switch
to to Dish Network Model 6000 receiver the CBS station is clearly there with picture, sound and signal strength of 82% to 100%. Again, both receivers are connected to the same rooftop antenna and disconnection the antenna and reconnection directly to either receiver alone makes no difference. The result is the same. The SH-D09 always has a higher signal level on the reception meter and no CBS picture or sound but it still receives all of the other HDTV stations ABC, NBC and our local WB affiliate. All four HDTV stations are received using the Dish Network model 6000. Only CBS is not decoded, and only when using the SH-D09 receiver.

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem through the equipment. I have contacted Pioneer and WBNS. They were polite and sympathetic but could offer no solution. I am beginning to suspect that the problem is in some type of signal encoding at the source, WBNS. They say they are not aware of this but the SH-D09 is an older unit (circa. 1999) and the Model 6000 is somewhat newer and software upgradeable, I think that the SH-D09 is no longer able
to decode the CBS transmission from WBNS. If so, this does not bode well for customers using older HDTV receivers. Future upgrades to broadcasting equipment at the source could make older HDTV receiver models useless. If anyone can shed any light on this subject or offer any solutions please contact me.

[email protected]

Michael Silla

Second Unit
It sounds like an issue with WBNS. If they have a good engineering staff I'd try to pursue it further with the station. Do you know anyone with a different type of HD receiver (a Samsung or E86) that could verify that they are having problems as well?

Michael.

MarkBar

Auditioning
I think you are right Michael. I know there were some issues with Sony receivers but that has been resolved. I'm trying to find someone with a Pioneer set-up similar to mine to see if they are having the same problem and if not, why. I'm also trying to find someone at WBNS close to the technical engineering dept. Thanks.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Yesterday I saw a post on a different forum from someone in the Chicago area who experienced what you are describing on his local FOX channel. His HDTV set top box was completely different (a Samsung), but the symptoms were the same. Then, other owners of the same Samsung chimed in to say that they were seeing the same thing, but only on this one channel. Finally, someone mentioned that this had occurred earlier in southern Cal, with a different local channel.

When the local Fox station was contacted (in Chicago) an engineer explained that this local Fox channel had indeed made a change, and that the way they were sending out their PSIP information was different. Apparently it only affects certain models of receivers, though. (I am getting this same channel fine on my Zenith). He also said in this local station's case, they should have it corrected by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

So, this is one possibility... your local has made some change recently, and is sending out the data stream in some way which is affecting your receiver, and causing it not to be able to interpret the picture or sound. If true, the difference would be that your statsion is not even aware of this.

You do need to find out if others with the same model set top box in your area are experiencing the same, and also whether those with different models have "lost" this channel.

If you want to track down the discussion I referenced, it is on the AVS forum, in the area for Local HDTV Reception. Set the search function back three days, perhaps, and try a search using the keyword: Chicago

Hope something here helps,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

MarkBar

Auditioning
Thanks Bruce,

With help from members like you I am getting closer to figuring out this annoying problem. I got some info from a local audio/video specialty store that does HDTV installs. They have seen the problem also but with certain older Sony units. I will look at the AVS Forum you mentioned for more info.

Thanks Again,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks