What's new

Pioneer Elite Pro 510-HD Changing Bulbs (1 Viewer)

goblue8000

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I have the above TV and as you can see it is getting older by the day and I can't afford to have a tv repair guy come out and tell me whats wrong and fix it, i can see a 400-600 dollar bill now. Ug. but anyway, I want to go inside of tv and see if the 3 bulbs need to be cleaned as my tv seems to be pretty dark on the inside of houses etc, as outside shots seems to be ok but just inside just to dark and I think if I clean the bulbs it might help. I took off the front glass (protector) but cant figure out how to take off the inner glass to get to the 3 bulbs, anyone tell me how to take off the inside glass, dont want to force the strip around it and break it. To be honest with ya, I wish it would konk out and die on me so I can purchase my 52" sony bravia 4 LCD, but i can't justify it when my pioneer is working somewhat ok, Help.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't think you need to change any "bulbs." The CRTs should be fine, but you should check out the optics cleaning tips by an expert on these sets, Mr. Bob in the Pioneer Elite thread over at AVSForum. Here is a link to the post:

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem

Have you yet experienced the dreaded "blue flash" contrast fluctuation problem that is the main focus of that thread? If not you probably will, because it seems they all do eventually. But it can usually be fixed by resoldering of joints on the power supply board. I did it myself over two years ago and the problem was resolved.

I don't have instructions for getting at the CRTs handy, but you should be able to find them in that thread. You go in through the front below the screen. Never remove the upper back panel or you will break the mirror.

goblue8000

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Glen, thanks for your response, i read his section and that is way over my head, ha ha. but i called him and left a msg for him to call me, probably won't as he is probably pretty busy guy but i didnt see anywhere where i could go and get instructions on how to get inside of tv to look at the bulbs and what you mentioned, if you find a place that gives that info, pls let me know and I will keep looking, thanks again. appreciate it.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Your HD-510 doesn't have bulbs, it has 7 inch CRT 'guns', one each red, blue and green. Each CRT has a lens which does get dirty and should be cleaned on a regular basis, along with adjusting the convergence.

You should get the service manual. It will give you instructions on how to remove the screens to access the CRTs. There are quite a few sites with general instructions on how to clean the lenses. Pioneer sell the service manual, but it can be expenive. You can often find them on eBay for a lot less.

Another option would be to hire a professional to come in an calibrate your set. They will clean the lenses, focus them, adjust the geometry, overscan, etc. They might even be able to do the preventive repairs to you power supply board before you develop the blue flash problem. Having the set professionally calibrated, even given it's age, will extend the life of the set and the picture quality will be better than it ever has been.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks