What's new

pioneer 811s as a pre? (1 Viewer)

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I'm wanting to setup a strictly stereo system in the living room. I am probably going to start separates for this, but dont have enough $$ to do it all at once. I am thinking of getting an 811s ($299 at BB right now) and using them until I can get a pair of the Outlaw M blocks (500/pr), and then using the 811's as a pre.

Will the 811 be decent as a pre? Is anyone using it as one that can comment?

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Randy. I think I've abandoned this idea. I listened to a Bryston B60 last night and I think I've come to the conclusion that stepping through piece wise isnt going to get me where I want to be.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the 811s for its great feature set and I am really happy with it for home theater. However, as I expected, the amplifiers show their weaknesses with music.
When I purchased the 811 with its full set of preouts, I had it in mind for use as a prepro in the not too distant future (don't tell my wife :)). I don't want to break the bank, and my speakers (Axiom Epic Micro in 6.1) can't handle a huge load, so I don't want a monster amp.
I have been looking at the Adcom GFA5006 and the Rotel RMB-1066. I realise that these amplifiers are only rated at 50 and 60 watts per channel respectively, but I am thinking that 50 to 60 watts from a dedicated amp is going to sound significantly better than the 100 watt amps that the 811 has on board.
Am I way off base here? Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone?
Any other amps I should be looking at in this price range?
Jeff

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
You stated you noticed the amps lacking on stereo mode, so I think you're on the right track. Do you want just an amp to power your mains, or all your channels?

I imagine these separate amps would sound better than the 811's amps, but the real question is how much better, and if its worth the few hundred these amps cost. Stil, it's worth it to try at least one of them out to see if its worh it.

Another power amp to look into is the stuff by parasound.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Nick.

What I actually said was the 811 amps were lacking for music. I don't listen to music in stereo mode but usually use the Neo:6 Music mode to bring all of my little speakers into the fray. I actually like it better than the 6-Channel Stereo mode.

Also, I use the 811 in Midnight mode all the time because without it I find the sound rather "tinny" for both music and home theater.

My plan was to use the external amps I mentioned above to power all six channels. I know I could bridge either one to get much more power to the mains and center, but that is probably not the way I would go.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks