What's new

Pioneer 47Ai first impressions (1 Viewer)

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the 49TXi/47Ai combo then AVOID SACD with the STEREO label. Most older ones are and the newer Stones release is.

Make sure it says MULTICHANNEL if it's an SACD! Otherwise you will ONLY get sound from the 2 front speakers thru the i-link.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, to each his own. I run my 'C555ES changers in direct mode to avoid extraneous processing. So, if the 'C555ES does perform a conversion to PCM in the bass management process, I don't have to worry about it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill said:

If you have the 49TXi/47Ai combo then AVOID SACD with the STEREO label. Most older ones are and the newer Stones release is.

Make sure it says MULTICHANNEL if it's an SACD! Otherwise you will ONLY get sound from the 2 front speakers thru the i-link.
Bill, I don't understand your point. If an SACD only has a stereo track, then you will only get sound from the two front speakers when using the analog outputs on any SACD player. It's stereo after all. What do you expect to get from stereo SACDs?

Ron Newsome

Stunt Coordinator
I think he means that you can't apply any type of Surround Sound Field to stereo DSD coming through the iLink.

Bill Law

Stunt Coordinator
Correct, Ron. There is NO way to force ANYsound out of any other speaker thrrough the i-link.
Stereo SACD's aren't exactly the next big thing anyway.:)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I personally prefer 2 channel stereo for all music, SACD and DVD-A included. Maybe someday, producers will get surround sound "right" for music, but IMO, it isn't there yet for most current releases... :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I'm with you. Stereo is still king as far as I am concerned.
Bill,
O.K. I don't like processing stereo tracks into surround sound or collapsing surround sound into stereo. I just don't think either process works well at all
You said:
Stereo SACD's aren't exactly the next big thing anyway.
Maybe you haven't heard them right. ;) Based on a lot of the gimmicky surround mixes out there, I would hardly say that multi-channel music on any format is the next big thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks