What's new

Pioneer 45A vs. the forthcoming Universal Player (1 Viewer)

Barry.Evans

Agent
I am still looking for a progressive scan dvd player that will do SACD (some) & DVD-A (mostly). I originally thought about the RP82 but found that it's not available. I also initially wrote off the Pioneer Elite 45A b/c my dealer was $500 for it.

How cheap can the 45A be had for? It has a separate chip for SACD correct?

Would it be worth the $80 or so more dollars over the soon to be released Pioneer Universial player? The new one will convert SACD to DVD-A streams but that isn't much of a concern for me since I have a larger dvd-a collection.

How is video supposed to compare between the forthcoming pioneer and their current Elite 45 model?

Where is the cheapest source for the Pioneer 45?

If I sound confused it's because I am.

-Barry

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think he means that the new one will convert DSD to PCM, while the 45a keeps DSD that way until it's converted to analog.

The 45a is a very nice player. I think the new one will be hard pressed to beat it in any catagory. With that being said, *someday*, Pioneer will get rid of the chroma bug, but I doubt it will be with a cheap(er) universal player. :)

Anyone know if the new one is an Elite product?

Serge Ch

Agent
Also Pioneer is coming with 2 Home Theater in a box systems this June. Both will feature SACD/DVD-A 5-disk changer. One of them will have wireless surround speakers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barry asked about the Pioneer Elite DV-45A:

Would it be worth the $80 or so more dollars over the soon to be released Pioneer Universial player?
The Pioneer Elite DV-45A retails for $500, while the DV-563A will sell for around $279. Obviously, we are talking about a difference in price much greater than $80. Note that Pioneer only authorizes sales of Elite products by mail, so I would be leery of online retailers selling the '45A for $358.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The chroma bug shows up in both interlaced and progressive outputs, although from what I've been able to gather, it is *worse* with progressive. I have an interlaced display, and I've had Pioneer players for years, and I've never seen it. In general, however, the chroma bug with Pioneer players is not as bad as some others.

Serge Ch

Agent
Note that Pioneer only authorizes sales of Elite products by mail, so I would be leery of online retailers selling the '45A for $358.
KeithH, what do you mean "mail order"? If order placed by phone and shipped by mail isn't considered as mail order sale?

Leo

Second Unit
What he means is Pioneer's Elite line is not a mail order product via Authorized Dealers. Authorized Dealers (meaning you will get the full warranty offered by Pioneer) will only sell the product via the brick & mortar sales. Mailorder/online sales will not be offered the full warranty by Pioneer.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you look around, you can find authorized dealers that will do business over the phone or the web. They aren't supposed, but they are out there.

Serge Ch

Agent
Actualy most of online stores have their own warranty coverage if the manufactureer warranty is not valid.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I can also vouch for the 45a. I have had in in my bedroom setup for a few months now, using the interlaced video (27 Inchy Sony Wega). It's a nice dvd player, and the sacd is a nice bonus... I don't think this player stacks up against the Sony ES lines as far as DACS(KeithH can answer more), but for the money I payed 370, it's a bargain for what it does... :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have had in in my bedroom setup for a few months now, using the interlaced video (27 Inchy Sony Wega).
My I add another plus for the 45A....

When I first installed the 45A, I was using a 32" Sony interlaced TV w/o a 16:9 mode. I was prepared to NOT like it, because most players other than Sony's have poor in-player letter-boxing, and all me previous DVD machines were/are Sony.

I was pleasantly surprised. While I never A/B'd it, my impressions were that the picture was actually better than the Sony players. S&V actually commented on it in their review.

I know have a 53" Pioneer WS set, and use the progressive outputs, and could not be happier, Secrets chroma bug findings not withstanding.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks