What's new

Pioneer 1015 not loud enough (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is about 5000+cf and I'm using a Marantz 8300 THX Select receiver. It was fine when I was using 8 Ohm speakers, but I had to add external amplification when I moved to all 4 Ohm speakers. My receiver is rated at 120x6, and compared to the 1014 I tried, there's no way the 1014 would have been capable of the same levels in my room (though I'm not sure how MCACC might factor into that). The 8300 had no problem filling the room with typical speakers though - Paradigm Monitor 5s, CC370, and Titan surrounds.

When I tested the 1014, I did so with just 2 channels and in direct mode, no processing or signal alteration of any kind, so I should have been hearing what the amps were actually capable of. What I heard did not surprise me for a receiver in it's price range - it wasn't less than I thought it should be, but it certainly wasn't more.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On the cheaper side try the Yamaha 5890, it definetly has more muscle than the 1014/1015.

I have installed it in some really difficult rooms, and it delivers. I have no idea what it's real world number are, but I would bet it gives a real 100watts from it's stated 140watts at least.

ChrisCan

Agent
Another thing I just thought of. The MCACC will auto EQ all speakers to try to timbre match them as close as possible. If you have a mismatched system or one with a single less capable speaker MCACC will lower the setting of all others to the limits of the worst speaker. I found this out when I replaced my center channel with one that matches my other speakers. It effected the setting of all the speakers and I believe I got an additional volume boost. Try turning MCACC off and see if you like it better.
Just a thought.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
James Phung - I ran the MCACC with mic placed correctly last night. I actually placed it on a tripod sitting on top of the couch to get the precise spot! The distances that came out were correct. Also, the system set spkr levels pretty low - around 0db, sub at -10db. After auto-setup was done, I overrode the speaker type for fronts to small. I still don't see a huge difference.

Chris - Comforting to know that you had the same exp with volume settings going up from 509 to 101X.

So, I guess what I am hearing is I won't see a huge power difference by replacing the receiver in this price range. The difference may be at the expense of clarity. Maybe its just a matter of adjusting my expectations. I don't know... The good thing is I still have 24 more days to try it out (30 day ret policy) :)

James Phung

Second Unit
Summy,
-10db for your sub is too low. It's because you have the gain on your sub too high. I'd recommend lowering the gain and rerun mcacc so that MCACC would set it closer to 0db (if mcacc sets it to +8db then gain is too low). Maybe run it hot by adding 1 to 3db (as many people do) to get a little more oomph.

But yeah, I don't think volume wise it can get any better, your room is big.

John S

Senior HTF Member
SummyD, if you return the Pioneer give that Yamaha 5890 a shot. With prudent price searching it can be had in the $500 US are price wise.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
John S, my only concern with 5890 is that then both my receiver and speakers would be on the brighter side (Yamaha and Energy). I compared 1014 and 5860 side-by-side at a Bb last year and found the latter to be a lot brighter (not harsher, but brighter still).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Or is this possible? ... If you ran MCACC with any speakers set to "LARGE" the amp may be trying to drive bass beyond what the speakers are capable of delivering efficiently. The amps will be working like crazy, probably distorting or sounding weaker than your old non-miscalibrated receiver. Set all your spekaers to "small" and start from scratch. The new receiver should sound fabulous.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
>> Set all your spekaers to "small" and start from scratch. The new receiver should sound fabulous.

I thought the auto-MCACC ignores what you've set. Anyway, I will still give it a shot. Thanks!

>> BTW what did you do with the old receiver? Unloading it for cheap?
I might keep it around for a future bedroom theater :) I doubt I will get more than 80-100 bucks for it.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Here is my setup, it might help you out a bit on the vol setings:

TV: Pannasonic 53" HDTV
DVD: Sony DVP-975
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-811S
Mains: JBL S 312 II
Center: JBL S center II
Surrounds: JBL E 10
S-Back: JBL N 24II
Sub: SVS 20-39PC+
EQ: Behringer DSP1124P

On my few years old pio amp, I listen to action movie in the -25 range...

Side question: I wonder if the Pio 1015 would make make much of an audio difference for me quality wise?

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
SummyD, I re-ran the MCACC manually with the speakers set to small myself, and my sub crossed over at 80 Htz, and it seemed to help quite a bit. I recommend you give that a try.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Huge difference. I went from 811 to 1014 and the difference wes night and day. No comparison.

I imagine yous need the loudness on in the 811 to make it sound decent? No such problem with the 1014/1015.

Also, the volume scale is different. I typically listen to my 1014 @ -20 or so.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I watched a few movies over the weekend and have decided to keep the 1015. Once I got over the fact that the volume scale is not linear and I'll have to keep it in the 30's/20's to be comfortable, I enjoyed the SQ. The component upconvert is a cool feature too for the s-video input coming from my sat box. I'll have to do something about the distracting blue power-light though :)

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I have the Pioneer 1016 Reciever. I wasnt planning on reading this thread, but a couple of things caught my eye:

1. Volume setting

This is because I too strugled with this, I also have a Pioneer 514, which has now gone to my bedroom and back and forth to a spare room (till I buy a 3rd receiver) which I can listen to at -40 and be as loud as the 1016 at -30, but the 1016 can go to +18, and I have watched movies at -10 and below with no distortion, and I have yet to venture into +db territory. My main room is between 3500-4000 cubic feet. You should not let the volume setting bother you at all the 1016 is more than powerful enough and has great clearity.

2. The second thing is that a lot of people were stating that Pioneer receivers are overrated. So I just wanted to say that I love my 1016 and it is more than capable of filling up my room. But if you really want to turn it up then you should have seperate power amps anyway, but the processor on your pioneer amp should be fine, just as my 1016 is. Plus for the price it makes me like it even more. I now can save up to get seperate amps to turn it to volumes I shouldnt turn it to anyway.

BTW- I can turn my 1016 loud enoguh so with the door closed 60 ft away at my mailbox I can hear the bass bumping, and with the door open i could have a prty outside, while inside there is no distortion.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the 1014 and wasn't happy with the sound quality or power. I felt my yamaha Rx-v630 had more real world power and was more musical. The the 1014, however, did do well with dialog.

BTW, I have also hooked my yamaha up to some energy c3 speakers. While I prefer my boston speakers, I think the yamaha energy combo sounded quite nice. I don't think the new yamahas are as bright as the older ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks