What's new

Pio DV-563A firmware fix (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
So, Craig, it looks like BB's PSP doesn't provide for getting a new player, even on a whim, the way PRP does. You would have to have a problem with the unit, have them service it and then still have an issue in order to get a new player under PSP.

I think GG's ESP works the same way: DVD players are in a product class that is not just summarily replaced. Its serviced first.

Further sauce for my goose: I swung through my local Good Guys yesterday for the first time in about 6 months. They're no longer carrying Tosh. So it looks like the SD-4960 won't be showing up there.

Its remarkable how the DVD product line has shifted towards recordability, whether its DVD recorders or PVRs. At least at GGs, the shift is very much away from hi rez: there were two players with hi rez playback capability on two walls full of players.

-p

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
paul, you do have an "out"...even with the psp.

it's called the "no lemon guarantee".

essentially, if you have the *same problem" three or more times ... on the fourth carry-in, you automatically get a new unit -- or a comparable unit if yours is unavailable, or has been upgraded, etc.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
So Pioneer is making us pay for shipping to get a player with a design problem fixed?

I called Pioneer and was instructed to send it to some third party repair facility in Colorado. I called this company today and they told me to send it in but the person I spoke to knew nothing about these probablematic players.

I'd much rather just repair this myself, I might try calling Pioneer and get them to send me the part and I'll solder it in myself or whatever is required , at least it won't cost me $15 in shipping this way.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You're assuming its a solder issue. If this is a circumstance wherein the firmware could be upgraded via CD-R, then clearly its not a solder issue, no?

And you understand that your opening the unit voids your warranty, yes?

-p

gregD

Second Unit
Paul.S... nicely analyzed and explained... thanks!

The other sad big-picture fact is that increasingly all this HT gear has become more computer than audio gear... it's more about media management (and protection, as you noted) than audio quality.

And as anyone who uses a PC (or even a Mac) knows -- hardware and software is continually rolled out with the expectation that it will be buggy, or incompatible with last year's HW/SW to some degree... and we're just expected to live with it and keep investing in it... it's a worst-case planned obsolescence nightmare that's become the norm.

And it's not just Pioneer... virtually all manufacturers experience glitches now.

I still think I'll wait awhile to see if the firmware fix becomes more widely distributed (on the premise that there have been many units sold that need attention), so I don't have to actually ship the box anywhere... although the local 'authorized' Pioneer repair facility leaves much to be desired.

Too bad... we almost had a $150 world-beater there for awhile...

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for the props, Greg.

You make an excellent point in your third paragraph above re a "worst-case planned obsolescence nightmare that's become the norm." I think it is a not-talked-about-often-enough ramification of all this ballyhoo'd digital convergence.

Frankly Greg, if I were you, I'd be taking a serious look at Tosh's SD-4960, supposedly streeting in June. Not that it won't have any possible firmware upgrade issues, but perhaps there will be some benefit in getting an even newer model (from a major DVD Forum manufacturer).

-p

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the affected list of titles. I tried setting after setting for literally hours trying to get my copy of Capricornia to work. I sure hope that the firmware fixes this disc.

Take care.

Mike Co

Agent
I'm in Georgia and Pioneer had me send mine to Michigan (ABL Electronics). I asked Pioneer if they would arrange a pick-up and they did (UPS)with a pre-paid shipping label. ABL finished the job last Thursday, said it would ship Friday and I'm patiently:angry: waiting...
So, if you push a bit Pioneer will pick up the tab for shipping.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I sent mine to Tele-Vue services in Colorado...$9.80 for Fedex Ground insured.

Not a bad price to pay as long as this fix works.

:star:

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I just contacted an authorized Pioneer service center here in Minnesota. They said that they are just waiting for the firmware upgrade disc from Pio, which hopefully would be here in a couple of weeks.

Since I don't have any of the discs in question, I guess waiting a couple of weeks is no big deal for me.

Tod

gregD

Second Unit
Yup, I think I'll wait too... not urgent... don't buy that many hi-res discs.

I have to think that they've sold a lot of 563a's that need this repair, and that it would be in everybody's best interest to get as many CD-Rs as widely distributed as possible, if only to all authorized repair centers and / or retailers with repair centers... should not be difficult to get this fix installed.

My local 'authorized' Pioneer repair shop is crappy, but at least it's nearby... I'd like to forgo the trouble of shipping... guess I don't mind going to the local shop and explaining 3 times what needs to be done.

Maybe they'll just let me do the fix there!

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone in Canada know where we can send our 563a in for repair?

Any Canadian with a DVD-audio player will want to flip the top half of their heads up and down to Neil Young-Greendale eventually.

Craig_ON

Auditioning
Here is the canadian address for dv-563a upgrade:

Service Dept
Pioneer Electronics of Canada, Inc
300 Allstate Parkway
Markham, ON
L3R 0P2

Make a note to the attention of Service Dept that you require a firmware upgrade.
Takes them two weeks to do the fix and time to ship it to your address. I shipped it from NL Canada next day and got it back three weeks to the day.
Every now works on the unit. I had the "Brian Wilson Live at the Roxy" and it now plays fine. The disk sucks but it plays fine now.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
For those looking for a fast 563A firmware update, check the Pioneer data base for local repair shops.
My longtime shop here in the Minneapolis area "COMPONENT ASSEMBLERS" received the update disc "May 04" and upgraded my unit while I stood there and watched.
Its completely automated 11 or 12 step process without the need of user intervention.
Took more time having him fill out the workorder to get paid by Pioneer than the two minute update.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just bought a disc that has a DVD-A playback problem in the 563a (Crystal Method's Legion of Boom). I called my local service center and they said since the player is out of warranty I'll be paying 37.50. Were others' players still under warranty or should Pioneer be compensating the service center?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks