What's new

Pinocchio Blu Ray replacement disc for missing lines of dialogue? (1 Viewer)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
If anyone really wants to I guess they could pay the fee go through this process for a fixed disc.

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/detail_TOPSUPP_DiscReplace__SUPPORT.html

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I recieved an email from Disney which says they are aware of the problem and that there is no solution at this time.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Any purported sightings of corrected standalone DVD copies out there anywhere? Or have just fixed Blu-Rays been turning up? I also have to chime in that this is just an overall bizarre situation. They apparently cared enough to address the problem, but not enough to inform curious customers? Or even replace copies for those who inquire?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Has anyone who's contacted Disney gotten past the first level of customer service? The poor guy or gal who first answers the phone isn't going to be able to make policy on this. Not that we all don't know that already.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All righty.

I just got off the phone with Disney support (which by the way is 1-800-477-2811).

After I spoke with their first line of defense, Sue--who was able to assure me that she had my information on file including various other calls I had made about releases of Snow White in 2001 and a request for Song of the South in 2002(!) --I was passed along to a very nice fellow, Nate, who was described as technical support.

Nate told me that they were very well aware of the missing lines from the original blu-ray release of Pinocchio...but that there has been no new version released with the audio restored. He said if such a thing WAS available, he is sure that a disc replacement program WOULD be implemented. We discussed, for example, the framing problems with PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl, etc. and the fine job Disney did with replacing the discs with that problem.

As I told Nate about my role as administrator on the HTF, I offered for him to check us out and, in particular, this thread and the various amateur sleuthing we had gone through to try and make some determinations about packaging differences, etc. He told me that the HTF was one of the places they monitor and that they were very well aware of the thread and the discussion taking place. But, he insisted, that he was unaware why those reports were being made because when they first surfaced they actually made an effort to confirm within the company if a corrected version had been pressed and the answer was "no."

I told him that we had heard weeks ago reports from other websites that turned out to be false but that our own reports came from longtime members who said they had just purchased the disc recently from amazon and they assured us the lines had been restored on the Blu-ray version (but not the DVD within the same package). I told him that we trusted our members and these were not new sign-ups just looking to perpetuate some perverse internet rumor at the expense of the Mouse. He was baffled because he continued to insist that there was no different release available and that the original pressing was still the only pressing out there.

He assured me if that info changed I would be receiving a notification via e-mail.

And that's all I got. But, as always, they Disney reps were as courteous and friendly as could be. My hope is that they soon discover reports like Paul's to be accurate and that there is just a communications mix-up within the company and that a disc replacement program can begin soon.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thank you! Great to hear of such nice cooperation on the phone, even if there's still a bit of a mystery to be solved.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike - thank you very much for your report. I appreciate all you do for HTF and the Membership.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Placed my order on Amazon.com today for: Pinocchio (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition
+ Standard DVD+ BD Live) [Blu-ray] for $21.99.

Hope to get the corrected blu-ray copy or it's going back.

Paul

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
--I was passed along to a very nice fellow, Nate, who was described as technical support.

Nate told me that they were very well aware of the missing lines from the original blu-ray release of Pinocchio...but that there has been no new version released with the audio restored. He said if such a thing WAS available, he is sure that a disc replacement program WOULD be implemented. We discussed, for example, the framing problems with PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl, etc. and the fine job Disney did with replacing the discs with that problem.

As I told Nate about my role as administrator on the HTF, I offered for him to check us out and, in particular, this thread and the various amateur sleuthing we had gone through to try and make some determinations about packaging differences, etc. He told me that the HTF was one of the places they monitor and that they were very well aware of the thread and the discussion taking place. But, he insisted, that he was unaware why those reports were being made because when they first surfaced they actually made an effort to confirm within the company if a corrected version had been pressed and the answer was "no."

I told him that we had heard weeks ago reports from other websites that turned out to be false but that our own reports came from longtime members who said they had just purchased the disc recently from amazon and they assured us the lines had been restored on the Blu-ray version (but not the DVD within the same package). I told him that we trusted our members and these were not new sign-ups just looking to perpetuate some perverse internet rumor at the expense of the Mouse. He was baffled because he continued to insist that there was no different release available and that the original pressing was still the only pressing out there.

He assured me if that info changed I would be receiving a notification via e-mail.

And that's all I got. But, as always, they Disney reps were as courteous and friendly as could be. My hope is that they soon discover reports like Paul's to be accurate and that there is just a communications mix-up within the company and that a disc replacement program can begin soon.

[/quote]

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

there has been no new version released with the audio restored.

he was unaware why those reports were being made because when they first surfaced they actually made an effort to confirm within the company if a corrected version had been pressed and the answer was "no."

He was baffled because he continued to insist that there was no different release available and that the original pressing was still the only pressing out there.

okay.....so this made me nervous enough to go back to the disc once again just to make sure I was not a) hearing what I WANTED to hear b) wrong about what I was looking for or c) batshit crazy. I can assure you that the lines "Right" and "Look out Pinoke" are present on the blu-ray in my possession (received from Amazon on Dec 8th.) "pinoke" is nearly drowned out by the clatter but it's there. It's funny (and a little scary) that the Disney rep has no idea about this, but it makes sense as to why there is no difference in the packaging if the Disney folks don't even realize that there are two versions floating around. Honest, Mr. Nate, I have nothing to gain by perpetuating a Pinoccchio falsehood! I hope this gets resolved for you guys soon (the biggest mystery to me is STILL that these new versions are popping up after so long and with the moratorium date a scant three months away.)

I have to admit I'm fascinated by the way this is playing out (or not playing out, I guess)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I was leaning towards Option "C", Will!

Thanks for double-checking, though. I gotta figure they will figure this out eventually.

I will certainly not order another copy even if more copies from Amazon appear corrected. I won't double-dip on the same title when there clearly was a problem with the first pressing. I will patiently wait for the Mouse to start-up a replacement program.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I will certainly not order another copy even if more copies from Amazon appear corrected. I won't double-dip on the same title when there clearly was a problem with the first pressing. I will patiently wait for the Mouse to start-up a replacement program.
The way I see it is if the copy I get from Amazon is corrected, then replacing it with the defective disc I also purchased from Amazon and stating just that for the return reason, will solve my problem and avoid the wait, if there will be one at all(?), for a general replacement program.

Paul

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The only way we can prove to Disney that the fixed version exists is if someone with a fixed disc and a Blu-Ray drive in their PC ripped the scene with the restored dialogue and posted it online. Of course, that would probably result in a takedown notice from Disney which would put us back at square one. :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd

The only way we can prove to Disney that the fixed version exists ....

But the fixed version DOES exist and SOMEONE at Disney HAS to know this without us PROVING it to them (!).....

edit: I see the smiley face now :)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
For reasons i am somewhat embarrassed to explain, i always purchase two copies of Disney Classic Video/films. i did the same with Pinocchio. when it first came out. Disney (in a phone call placed on 11/29/10) told me that no correct copy has been released. On the word of those that said they received the corrected copy from Amazon, i ordered two copies, a week a part, and received two corrected copies of the blu ray. i did not even try the DVD. i still have the first defective copies of the movie i purchased and will give them to relatives that have blu ray machines.
This info is given, not so that those who feel free to chastise me for my actions can do so, but rather to let you know that the corrected blu ray can be had from Amazon.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd (included in post #20) showing the missing dialogs, and it hasn't been taken down after a few weeks. And yes, I have the ability to rip blu-ray too, but unfortunately I don't have the corrected disc. Actually you don't need to rip the blu-ray. Those who have the corrected disc could use their iphone/cellphone to shoot a video of their TV screen showing the corrected footage and upload it online.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Pure speculation: 1. Amazon is a (the?) major seller of Blu-Ray discs; 2. They expected Pinocchio to be a potential big seller this Christmas season (possibly also taking into account the upcoming moratorium pressure) and scheduled a price cut; 3. Amazon thus places a whopping order (or however they do these things, but whatever it is, Disney knows about the demand); 4. Disney orders a press run to meet this anticipated demand, using the corrected master that someone at some point produced but that, for some reason, hadn't made waves that reached all the various shores within the organization. Didn't I hear that Region B copies didn't have the problem? If that's the case, perhaps it wasn't a major, wave-making operation to port it over to this new Region A master.

Normally I cringe when people treat their speculations as revealed truth, but I think I've covered my posterior pretty well on that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks