What's new

Pink Floyd..........when? (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I am surprised at how differant peoples opinions are regarding what is and is not "Pink Floyd." I would love to see Roger Waters rejoin the group as long as he remembers his roots.
Like everyone else I am hoping that some of the albums are re-released in a DVD-A or SACD format. I'll probably be senile by the time they do.
I started a thread about my experience with the SACD version of "In the Flesh" before I knew that a this thread was already opened. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=86728

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I was a rather "late" convert to Pink Floyd, having been introduced to them by my college roommate in 1991 or thereabouts. the first thing I ever listened to was Delicate Sound of Thunder, followed by DSotM.
my leanings have always been towards the stuff where Gilmour and Waters achieved a proper balance between their creative forces, i.e. the likes of DSotM, WYWH, and the Wall. musically I've always preferred Gilmour, hence I don't like Final Cut and am not a fan of Waters' solo material, although I like Gilmour's solo albums. having said that, Gilmour's music seems "lightweight" without Waters' heavy lyrics, if you get my meaning.
so MLoR is fine musically though a bit "light", whilst Division Bell recaptures some of Floyd at their peak, which IMHO was in the mid to late 70s.
but count me in for any DVD releases of Pulse, DSoT, even Pompeii (which I've never seen nor heard), and of course live concerts of the Wall -- I'll live with poor video quality, something is better than nothing, yes? and what about Waters' Berlin concert?
PS: funny this hasn't been moved to Music yet... :D

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming, I agree somewhat with you, but I don't agree that "The Wall" had the proper balance of creative forces. The last album with the proper balance was "Animals". The music on that album is a very tight collaboration between all four members of the band. It rocks like no Pink Floyd album before or since. But the lyrics start leaning toward that imbalance. Still I say it has the proper balance, as most of the album was written and perfected on the stage before they even recorded "Wish You Were Here".

(Trying to keep a little on topic of DVD software for Pink Floyd...)

I'd like to see a DVD collection of all the animation and film that has been projected onto the circular "Mr. Screen" over the past 30 years. Gerald Scarfe's "Welcome to the Machine" animation, for example. Also Storm Thorgerson's video clips used on the last tour during "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "High Hopes". (I think the music video of "High Hopes" is substantially the same footage.) When I'm watching "Pulse" sometimes I just want to see a stationary wide shot of the stage and what's on Mr. Screen, as that is what I saw when I went to the concert. Maybe they could use multiangle?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wayne, good point on The Wall, perhaps that's why my favourite track is Comfortably Numb, which had a lot more Gilmour input than anything else on the album. I know I'm giving short shrift to Mason & Wright, but don't we all? ;)
I must admit I still don't "get" Animals. oops. not much of a Floyd fan, am I? :b
nice point on the stuff screened on "Mr Screen" :D that would certainly make a nice angle in conjunction with the concert, or at worst an extra. one would imagine that they would have the footage somewhere in storage -- hopefully.

TomJD

Agent
Just an FYI for all Roger Waters fans.Just found his "In The Flesh" DVD for only $14.88 with free shipping at www.playcentric.com .Use code PLAYSHIP88 or CDPLAYDPC60 to recieve $1.00 off and free shipping.Have heard nothing but raves for this concert DVD.As for a live "The Wall" concert,I saw a Waters interview where he said all the shows were filmed (both in the UK and USA) and he plans to release it someday for all Pink Floyd fans to experience.I was lucky enough to attend one of the shows at the Nassau Collesium and would love to see it on DVD.Also would love to see some vintage Pink Floyd concerts from the "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here" tours.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think ROGER WATERS was all that "young" when the WALL was released. He was actually in his thirties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks