What's new

Pink Floyd said to reunite for Live 8....Really! (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Radio stations can be charged 500k now if something goes out over the air that is obscene.

They can also have their licenses pulled.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

True, but the question is, and more importantly, what the FCC keeps failing to clearly define for broadcasters is what is considered obscene. Is one on two uses of the word "shit" in a rock song obscene, I hardly think so. Even the Who's "Who the Fuck are you!?" I would hardly consider obscene. It's been played on the airways for decades and people must not be complaing much because that line is still getting through today. Now I know that there are those who who are going to say "But I never want to hear those words when I am listening to the radio with my children in the car" But we really have to start to calm down a start to be a bit realisic about what can truly be construed as obscene.

What's more obscene, the line "don't give me that do-goody-good bullshit" or songs that are being played on youth oriented radio stations today with lyrics that are clearly describing and glorifying sex/violence etc. but get away with it just because they are not using any "dirty" words. According to the FCC, apparently, it's the former.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Have you read a newspaper lately? do you know who's running the country? :) It's only going to get worse. We're becoming MORE conservative as a whole...not less. Bottom line: if you can't say it on TV, you're not going to be able to say it on the radio. I've never heard the word "fuck" on the air from a song that I'm familiar with. It's always been edited. I seriously doubt you're going to get any leeway on that one unless it's satellite radio. Otherwise, it's all under the FCC and they can fine as the please. And at the moment, because of Bush and the new law, they can charge people that 500k for something going on air.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that has been signed into law yet. I believe it did get in the news for passing the House of Reps. but as of this date, Bush has not signed it into law. Although, admittedly, I don't see him vetoing it when it makes it to his desk.

Max F

Second Unit
Its just curse words...

Lets get back on topic.

Roger Waters did seem to really enjoy being back with the band. I'm not sure how thrilled they were about it. Seeing either one without the other just isn't the same. With Roger's band you just really miss David's smooth voice and even smoother guitar. Without Roger, you just don't get that crazy voice and, well, he wrote all of the songs.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I have never heard George Micheals Fast Love censored, and he swears in that, but the swearing flows with the rest of the lyrics so I guess it's ok.

CraigL

Screenwriter

You're also living in New Zealand. Different.

i also don't listen to classic rock stations so, no, i haven't heard the Who's song or PF's music. Check out DVDtalk for the recent discussions regarding that. I can only speak for NYC radio (which I work in) where the "fuck" in Sarah McLachlan's Building A Mystery is cut, the "shit" in Matchbox Twenty's Long Day is cut and all references to drug use is cut from 3rd Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life is cut. I've also never heard NIN's Closer uncensored on the radio.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Classic Rock radio probably gets more leeway as it's probably the thinking that it draws in more older listeners than the stations with newer music which draws in a younger demographic. Also, with some of the examples used earlier in the thread, the cursing does not seem as "hard" For example, The Who's "Who the F*ck are you" as opposed to NIN's "I want to F*uck you like an animal"

But don't think that the songs that get censored for cursing on more modern radio stations are not "obscene" just because there are no "dirty" words. And that is where the hypocrasy lies.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
wow, i know mtv cuts out the drug references, most of them are in radio versions in baltimore. hell one chorus in mtv goes
"well if i took the *** then i was ****** again and then I ****** again well..."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
So I saw the info about the lack of any possible reunion tour. However...

When I watched their set, I noticed all the extra musicians, and how tight the songs were in spite of them not having played together for all those years, and that meant to me that they spent a fair amount of time preparing to do Live 8 "right". So I thought that maybe, just maybe that all that preparation *wasn't* just for Live 8... Maybe just wishful thinking...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It looked to me like Roger Waters sitting in on the classic 90s PULSE era "Pink Floyd". The rest of the guys were tight because they've played these songs umpteen times together.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Well, weren't they playing over (or perhaps just singing over) a recording? How else did they get the effects at the start and end of Money, or the beginning of Wish You Were Here?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Marvin, I am sure its not uncommon to have those intros sampled into a keyboard, and triggerred as needed. Or they could have been fed from the mixing console. No cheating in that, IMHO.

The vocals were rough enough that if there were backing tracks, they were pretty low in the mix. I would say the same about Gilmour's solos.

There was even a spot during Numb (I think) where Water's raised his hands in mid song, and when he did, there was an obvious loss of bass.

IMHO, these guys were playing like the masters that they are.

Kind of funny this is mentioned. Back when Macca did his Superbowl show, there was a HUGE thread at Hoffman's accusing Paul and band of lip synching. Maybe he did. I don't know.

But I would say that in his case, and Floyd, if they did use backing tracks they were dwarfed but what was being played live. And in both cases, I though the performances were brilliant.

Brian

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Roger used the intro sound effects on classic Floyd songs for his In The Flesh tour, and the documentary on the DVD shows him deciding to cut out the effects from the beginning of Comfortable Numb in favor of just going into the song. The Floyd used the sound effects a great deal during the time I saw them during the Momentary Lapse tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks