What's new

Pink Floyd said to reunite for Live 8....Really! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see what the set list is going to be. If it's anything like Live Aid, then the most time an act will get will be circa 20 minutes. And if we're talking about classic Floyd, that's barely enough time for one song ...

However, one song from the Floyd is still likely to be better than an album's-worth of stuff from some of the acts that are playing.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
This is really cool news. I just read it on CNN and thought I'd see if anyone had posted the news yet. Hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things from Pink Floyd in the near future.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
That Gilmour quote is sure making the rounds!

Its at Brain Damage, Floyd's official site, and this new link. Probably about 10,000 other sites too. It best be legit or a lot of folks will have a lot of egg on their faces.

Is there any info on TV for this?

Back in the day I sat my butt down in front of the couch for the entire day watching Live Aid. Of course, I got stuck working that Saturday morning, and missed two bands that I wanted to see more than any other; Sabbath and Queen.

Judging from this years line up, I can stand to miss a lot more this time around, but I am an old geezer, relatively speaking.

Floyd will hands down be the highlite for me.

BGL

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Doesnt anyone find the lack of a Waters quote disturbing despite all the Gilmour quotes?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow!

I was at a party Saturday night, and the conversation came up about bands that we'd like to see reunited. We mentioned "The Police", "Talking Heads", & "Pink Floyd", but we all conceded that none of these will every happen. When I woke up Sunday morning, the first news headline that I saw on the Internet was this.

Wow! I still think that I'm dreaming.

It will be interesting to see what they do for a set though, as somebody already mentioned, these sets are usually very short. Hopefully, they'll be doing an entire set, and maybe only air a small portion of it for the festival. Maybe, a new live DVD?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I want to hear from Roger's mouth that Pink Floyd is reuniting. If that's the case, let's hope it's a one-time effort. I think all the band members are of the opinion that you can't go home again. That is, they can't go back permanently to being Pink Floyd. A special event like this is worth it. They're all pushing 60 and have been pursuing their own individual interests for 24 years. Let's all simply enjoy the moment.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

You're probably right, but just that fact that (apparenly) Waters is willing to take the stage with the rest of the group is monumental in itself (although I'm paranoid that within the next 24 hours we'll get a statement from Waters that there is no truth to any of this). I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe playing together again will melt off enough animosity where they might do some more shows together again (One of my life's regrets it that I was too young to see Floyd when Waters was still in the band) or maybe even another album together.

Of course, on the flip side getting on the stage could just aggrivate the bad feelings even worse and be a disaster.

Clint B

Second Unit
If this indeed comes to pass, I say that the Eagles were wrong...Pink Floyd, with Waters, playing again would indicate that hell has really frozen over indeed.:laugh:

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
How about they set up the concert like this: Pink Floyd all of one day, everybody else the next day. Or, everybody else gets two songs, and then Floyd goes on at dusk.

Can you imagine the rehearsals? I'd love to be a fly on "the wall'' when they first get together. They haven't played as a group in 21 years and now they have just over two weeks for rehearsal.

Set List:
In the Flesh (after all, they are really in the flesh)
Arnold Layne (a tribute to Syd)
Money (the concert is about money, isn't it?)
Us and Them (the concert is also about first-world, third-world politics)

Since I saw The Wall concert three times (once in LA and twice in London) I don't long for the band's reformation. This is a nice opportunity to refresh memories, or for those who never had a chance, to see what a PF concert is all about. But I doubt we'll see them touring together again ala Spinal Tap (or the Rolling Stones).

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Now all we have to do is hope a us network picks this concert up....and hopefully will show it in HDTV.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Interesting that the poster says "Pink Floyd including Roger Waters", rather than just "Pink Floyd". Does Waters therefore concede that the other three continuing without him are justified in calling themselves "Pink Floyd"? Or is this just a way to get separate billing?

Oh well, who cares, I'm just psyched that they're playing together at all. And I hope our lousy local station gets this, even if it's several weeks delayed rather than live.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the website just put that text over the official Live 8 poster for the newspost. Since it's a Roger Waters fansite, it would make sense for them to highlight his involvement - especially in the context of the news story.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Let's just hope they don't play "Echoes" for the entire set. Even more, they better not play "One of These Days" because when they get to the line "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces", they just might! Personally, I think the animosity between Roger and the rest of the band has probably been taken care of long ago, and they really saw no reason (besides lots of money) to get back together since it could all start back up again. When I saw Roger here in Atlanta last time, Rick Wright was in the audience.

I see that The Who are also playing the London show. Not a bad little lineup so far, but I hope they get some BIG names too....

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Brent,

where'd ya see The Who listed? going by the list below, they need some BIG names

* Annie Lennox
* Bob Geldof
* Coldplay
* Cure, The
* Dido
* Elton John, Sir
* Joss Stone
* Keane
* Killers, The
* Madonna
* Mariah Carey
* Ms. Dynamite
* Muse
* Paul McCartney, Sir
* Pink Floyd
* Razorlight
* REM
* Robbie Williams
* Scissor Sisters
* Snoop Dogg
* Snow Patrol
* Stereophonics
* Sting
* Travis
* U2
* Velvet Revolver

seems like a Yannick Noah is in the Paris concert is that the tennis player or a namesake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks