What's new

Pink Floyd "Pulse" (1 Viewer)

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
I've waited this long for 5.1 Pink Floyd, I can be patient a few months longer.
But we were saying that last Summer/early Autumn, a few months go by and it's even further away.

And Steve, you are wrong - they do owe us something - an explanation for the "final" delay (and maybe an apology as well)

William F

Auditioning
Real Name
William Fogarty
Amazon has Pulse being delivered to me by July 20th. It is also a gift on PBS fund drives. That has to mean that it is coming on dvd.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Jordan_E said:
4:3
Shoot on film...shoot on film...
David Gilmour has said in some recent interviews that he regrets not having had PULSE shot on film, because the video-sourced image quality doesn't hold up to current 16:9 HDTV displays, but that he was trying to get the footage to look the best that it possibly can before he allowed the DVD to be released, hence many of the delays.
Vincent

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
I peeped this last night (my copy arrived early...) and wasn't blown away by the picture quality (I'm not using any sort of high end display or component output from the player). The bass rumbled through the subs and there's lot's of surround on the second disk (especially during Time) - even to the point of being a bit distracting...
It was soooo good to see this concert again though
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I could care less about PQ. I just want to hear PF sound good on this disc after waiting so long. I mean, look at what Led Zeppelin was able to do with the audio on their DVD set.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
any comments on the extras? any good?
The screen films are quite good quality and it's good to see them in their entirety - especially the complete video of Time (1994 version not the original Ian Eames).

Had a quick peep at Bootlegging the Bootleggers and the video quality and shakiness of the camera irritated me too much to watch all of it.

Watched some of the behind the scenes footage and this looks pretty lightweight so far.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I've posted on HTF, but not as long as I've been waiting for this DVD. Finally, just a few minutes ago, UPS dropped it at my door.
I immediately popped the first disc in and the first thing I did was to go to the audio setup menu (I wanted to be sure I was going to be listening to the 5.1 mix) ... and to my surprise, one of the soundtracks is 640 Kbps Dolby 5.1! Even more surprising is that my DVD player can handle it. I am very pleased.
But my enjoyment of the DVD is tempered by the news today that Syd passed a few days ago. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I thought the disc looked and sounded pretty good. Sure there are several other discs out there that are more "reference quality" but I am happy to finally get this on dvd, it has been a long time comming.

MatthewHA

Grip
Disk one of my copy of PULSE does not display the menu, and I cannot get to any special features. It will not play on both of my DVD players. I bought my copy at Best Buy. Any others having the same problem?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Disc 2 is a keeper, but the songs from The Division Bell on disc 1 will probably have me putting that one in the 400-disc player to be spun once in a blue moon. Got the 640 track to play on my Sony 400-discer, but not my Pioneer "Elite." The 640 track also played on the Toshi A1. Wasn't too disappointed by the PQ, not as bad as I thought it would be, and a heck a lot better than a few other music DVDs I own. After watching the Roger Waters DVD so many times, the bombast of this Floyd concert (And yes, I did see them live, but a LONG time ago!) was a little stunning. Lasers, light, lasers, and...oh yeah, lasers! Overall, I give the edge to the Roger Waters DVD, as I like the more "intimate" feel. But the Roger Waters DVD and disc 2 of Pulse will get equal play time from now on.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I was so happy to get this set finally as I have been waiting like all of you have. I saw this show live twice, in LA and in Chicago. Fantastic show. Yes, the editing is a bit faster paced than what I would have liked but it sounds fantastic. And when those three backup singers go into their individual solos during the DSOTM stuff, it just gives you chills. For everything negative said about this 2-disc set, I can't help but love it. I project it on a 104" screen and for shits and giggles, I hit the zoom button on the remote. I then get a "widescreen" version of the 4:3 image that, believe it or not, does not look all that distorted. The Bootlegging feature is hilarious and it is Floyd's answer to all the bootleggers that have tried to rip them off, shakey camera and tinny mono crappy sound and all. When Pink Floyd tours, it's more like an event than a concert. And this was a great way to re-live it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just watched the entire concert this afternoon. As glad as I am to finally see it, I think the Delicate Sound of Thunder concert is better in practically every aspect. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting to see it come out on DVD though. In fact, I'm going to sit down and watch some of the LD right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks