What's new

Pilot on gas fireplace won't stay lit. (1 Viewer)

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
I feel like I am banging my head against the wall trying to get this pilot light to stay lit so I can start my fireplace.

I have a Robert Shaw 7000MVRLC gas valve with a green knob on it that goes from Off, Pilot to on.

I was told from a stove shop that in order to light the pilot light you must position the knob on pilot and push and hold inward while pressing the spark igniter.

Each time I am able to get the pilot light lit I am unable to turn the knob from pilot to on. It seems the knob has to be pulled out in order to turn it from pilot to on. Each time I do this however the pilot light goes out.

I really don't want to call a service person right now but this valve has had issues ever since we've moved in.

:frowning:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Not specifically familiar with that but if you've got a thermocouple (Honeywell?) going from the gas valve to where the pilot light is you might want to replace it. First though, assuming you've got one, is to make sure the thermocouple is positioned correctly. Then keep the pilot light lit for a minute or so to warm the thermocouple up properly before making the switch to 'on'.

DougR

Second Unit
Along with the suggestion above, it sounds like the valve may not be working properly? I think most,when you hold down the Knob to light the Pilot,it usually comes back up by itself?Then you continue turning to the "On" position.

*But you must Hold down the knob for at least 30 seconds or so before Releasing to go to the "On" position.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan

The above is the key. Once the pilot is lit, you must continue to push the knob in for a bit. Then when you let it out is should stay lit.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I agree about holding the button down, but I've had hot water heaters where you had to hold it down for at least a minute and then very slowly let up on it. You might try that.

Dink

Auditioning
Real Name
Raymond Davis
The manual for my Majestic requires the valve control to be held in for one minute before releasing. But in addition, it states that if the valve control does not pop back out, that the valve is defective and must be replaced. My valve is a Robertshaw 7000MVRLC.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I house/dog-sit a couple times a year for friends that have a fireplace with the same problem.

They rarely use it so don't even notice, but I don't do well with cold, so use it a lot.

I think part of the solution is what people have already mentioned, hold the valve in for at least 30 seconds or more. However, I've discovered that I also need to move the valve very slowly from pilot to on. If I just turn it normally, out goes the pilot.

What was causing it to go out was the fan to blow hot air into the room sometimes wasn't coming on. After an hour or so the flame and pilot would go out, I'm guessing some sort of failsafe to keep from overheating. Once I figured out how to tweak the fan setting, things got much better.

My house has a good old-fashioned woodburning fireplace. A little more work with cleanup, cutting wood, etc. but much more enjoyable.

Erick Pelaez

Auditioning
Real Name
Erick
HI well im having the same problem, change the thermocouple, change the valve and i still can't get it working. i have tried everything that you guys have posted but no luck :confused::confused:

Jtravis647

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Travis
Same thing happened to me. Turned out it was just a $7.00 thermocoupler. Fixed it in 5 minutes. It's the little tube next to the pilot light.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
He did say he replaced the thermocouple. Perhaps did he check to make sure the thermocouple was aligned right with the pilot light? Jay

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Gas fireplaces can be very dangerous to deal. I took a gamble because there we had very good ventalation. I housesat for some people and the main problem was just getting a fire burning. The pilot light somehow always stayed lit so I played a lot with the valves, the wall switch to turn the unit off and on, etc. Don'r know the terminay the guys above me are using but was able to finally get things working. Pilot always stayed on, but the main vfalve to the fire seeked to bethe problem. lots of pressing on the valve, turing it just right and I could usually get a fire. Some times for hours.at a tmee or just half an hour, but I eventually got it bacil This fireplace had metal direction cards on the base, so was able to get help from them. Whatver you do, make sure there is plenti of ventilation, do not stick your face in the fiireplace and be very, very cautious. My problem turned out to be minor, but anything else, call in the fire department, a gas fire expert, just some one who try knows what they're doing.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The thermocouple is a safety device that is connected to the main gasline valve. It is pointed to the pilot light (in the systems that have one) and can control the gas valve. If the pilot light isn't on and heating the thermocouple then the gas valve remains closed. Obviously, if the pilot light isn't on or hot enough to ignite the gas, then having unignited gas being distributed in one's basement is not a good idea, so the thermocouple's duty is to monitor the pilot light. Sometimes, if not aligned right (it;s just a line of copper), it might not trigger properly and the water heater may not turn on. And those thermocouples don't last forever either so they are made to be replaceable. http://homerepair.about.com/od/heatingcoolingrepair/ss/pilot_light_2.htm jay

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
On our boiler, albeit in the uk, you have to hold the knob in the strike "pilot" position for ten seconds after the pilot light is lit. This allows the thermocouple to come up to temperature. Then turn the knob to the "on" position Cold thermocouple equals no flame so gas supply isolated.
Jonathon Tillman said:
I feel like I am banging my head against the wall trying to get this pilot light to stay lit so I can start my fireplace. I have a Robert Shaw 7000MVRLC gas valve with a green knob on it that goes from Off, Pilot to on. I was told from a stove shop that in order to light the pilot light you must position the knob on pilot and push and hold inward while pressing the spark igniter. Each time I am able to get the pilot light lit I am unable to turn the knob from pilot to on. It seems the knob has to be pulled out in order to turn it from pilot to on. Each time I do this however the pilot light goes out. I really don't want to call a service person right now but this valve has had issues ever since we've moved in.
b8d92210_htf_images_smilies_frown.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
That is the same physics here too :) we're supposed to hold the pilot light on for a bit til the thermocouple registers the heat and keeps the valve open. Jay

Calvin T

Auditioning
Real Name
Calvin Childers
I woke this morningat 5:15, coldest day of the Winter, with my heat off. When I tried to relight it, I had the same problem. The pilot would light, but when I went to let the knob up so I would turn on the burners it would go out. Have used it for years, so I know how to light it. So far I have the cook stove going to give what heat it will, at least it's not freezing in here now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks