What's new

Pierce Brosnan out as Bond? (UPDATE: Daniel Craig confirmed) (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
A three-year wait is fine, provided they spend the time developing a good movie. Unfortunately, they haven't been doing that.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Any reputable actor is likely to demand something similar. The desire to counter being typecast will make them want plenty of time in between Bond films for other projects. Brosnan is probably the only Bond actor to have any other significant roles during his tenure.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I was stunned when I read this online! Thank Goodness that MGM has come out with the denial as this rumor seemed to have some teeth to it!

I've liked Pierce's portrayal of Bond and I must admit that I like all his films though i'd only say 2 of them (GOLDENEYE, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH) are what i'd call "good films" however all have been entertaining.

I actually prefer Dalton over the other portrayals as I liked his darker, edgier side. Having said that there are some things that Pierce brought back to the character that hadn't been there really since Connery and that's the womanizing side and sexuality that had been missing. Also, Pierce's humor is more like Connery's as it kinda comes off flip whereas someone like Moore's was buffoonish whereas someone like Dalton's or Lazenby's was non-existent!

I had really wanted Dalton to continue the series but Pierce has made me a believer and I hope that he does do his 5th movie. Afterwards I do think they'll need to change the role and i'll be fine with that.

As for a replacement i'd have to say my first choice would be for Christian Bale however him taking over the BATMAN franchise would seem to rule him out. Somebody like a Clive Owen or a Hugh Jackman I can accept. Jude Law or Orlando Bloom?? You gotta be kidding!

Will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
The three year wait is a pain in the arse though. A Bond movie every two years was the norm (with the exception of the three year gap between "The Man With The Golden Gun" and "The Spy Who Loved Me"). Pierce Brosnan could still do other films between his Bond duties. Didn't he film "The Thomas Crown Affair" between "Tommorow Never Dies" and "The World Is Not Enough"? That was a two year gap.Three years is a bad idea. We want a Bond flick every two years. Make it happen! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Disappointing. Every time the rumour comes up, I hope it's true, and then, alas, no new life injected into Bond.

So sad.

Though everyone has their own preferences, I found it interesting in the special features of my Bond DVD's that the filmmakers admitted that Lazenby and Moore played Bond much closer to the way he was written in the books.

Oh, and I think my left butt cheek is sexier than Pierce Brosnan. :b Wonder how much the Bond producers had to payoff People to make him "Sexiest Man Alive" to help promote his next Bond outing. Still can't take him seriously in any of the womanizing scenes.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Are you kidding? Woment go nuts over Brosnan. He is the perfect "Gentlemen player".

I for one do not want to see Brosnan leave the role right now, both because I think he is greta in the role, and because I cannot think of a single suitable repleacement, lest they cast an unknown which is not bloody likely.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
At least it gives the franchise more time to find a suitable, less wimpy replacement.

Wimpy Batmen, wimpy Bond, wimpy Spider-Man; what a generation we're in!!

Just to clarify, I was very happy with the casting of the NEW Batman, Christian Bale. I did become a little worried recently though, when I read he had lost 60 lbs for a recent role to look like he was starving. Considering the guy didn't have any fat on him I'm really worried about him getting 60lbs of muscle back for Batman now. From what I've seen of SM 2, Toby didn't have any time to get much back after Seabiscuit. (not that he had much in SM1) Alas, we may have another wimp if Bale can't bulk up. Prove me wrong, Christian!!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Grant,
You've seen Christian ripped before, I assume. The Machinist simply proved that Bale knows physical appearance is critical to a role. I'm certain he'll do what is required to gain the physique for Bruce. He's had it before (Equilibrium, American Psycho).

As for Pierce, my wife loves him, and has since Remington Steele. She also loves Sean Bean, so Goldeneye is easily her favorite Bond. Hopefully, they'll put a worthy film (and Bond girl) around Brosnan for his last outing. Based on the BO for DaD, I am not hopeful.

Take care,
Chuck

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Grant:
Rest assured that we now understand beyond the shadow of a doubt: You don't like Pierce Brosnan.
Thank you. :)

And thanks also for this:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

For a replacement after the next Bond movie is released, I have a somewhat unusual suggestion: Liev Schreiber. He was the guy who played John Clark in The Sum of All Fears. He'd be in his early 40's by the time they get to him, can do physical parts, and is 6' 2" according to the IMDB bio (see above link). Just a thought...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just realized, MGM has the youth market already in the Cody Banks spy kid franchise.

Glad to know that Brosnan is still in for one more film.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

If Avery played the part, there could have been wonderful scenes with Bond eating Doritos instead of Beluga Caviar.
Edited for Wrong Snack Food:b

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
???

1995 - Goldeneye
1997 - Tomorrow Never Dies
1999 - The World is Not Enough
2002 - Die Another Day

That's only one 3-year wait, between movies 3 and 4. Besides, I'd rather wait 3 years for a good movie than have a mediocre one cranked out every 2.

And then there's Maude!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
While fans would hate it, I would love it if they would break form and go with someone like, oh, Avery Brooks ;)

(then again, I think Lazby is easily the best bond)

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Sean Connery can still do it. More charisma than the rest put together and he's getting better. Just make the setting realistic -- don't pair him up with jailbait. There are plenty of nice-looking middle aged ladies who could act up a *storm* around him, retain sexiness, and the picture can still have action.

The action picture genre has been trying to one-up itself for so long that the "incredible stunt of the month" is no big deal any longer (IMH0).

Don't know about anyone else but I'm finding that the "quaint" action movies of yesteryear are much more *interesting*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks