What's new

Pictures of the build process of my traditional 122L Tempest sub. (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
QuickTime VR of my room with the sub! PLEASE EXCUSE THE CLUTTER!
My Tempest Project
Here are some pictures of the build process of my Tempest sub.
I am trying to out do Patrick on number of pictures taken on one project. I am up to 82 at this point. I don't have the time to document them though. But if you have a question, just ask!
I am hoping to have it playing this weekend!!!
The first image is a CAD drawing of how I will finish it. Kinda like Darren_T's Mission style Tempest!
Ronnie

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie,
Lookin' good so far! I like that CAD drawing too. Very similar to how I'll be finishing my Tumult!
BTW, I finished those TB 1.5-way speakers last week! Sounds pretty good! :)

Darren_T

Second Unit
All them pictures are slowing your progress! Put that dang camera down and get that monster up and running!!! :) Nah, nice pics man, looks like you are about as anal as I am.
Looking really nice!
Darren

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Actually if you notice, there is no pictures of any work in progress! All the pictures get taken after I turn the last power tool off for the night. :)
I thought about taking action shots, but didn't want to take the time! Also I didn't want the Canon S330 Digital ELPH around all that MDF dust!
And "Anal" IS my middle name when it comes to building something! :D
rf

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Looks good man :) I like the "turn the camera around & see the guy in the mask" pic the best. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I got some of those "spikes" you told me about in ATL. 12 for $1.50 & they work great! Did the Ms.'s have a good shopping trip while we we all having fun?

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Greg-
Satellite™ Field Points
Mine were $2.99 for 12 spikes, or should I say practice points! :D I got the 125 GRAIN version, but I cannot remember the size. We have a local Bass Pro Shop so I got to see them before I bought them...
They fit #8-32 T-nuts.
FYI: This is a good time of year to get them at Wal-Mart! They are seasonal there!
I don't know where Chris got his.
Chris- The wife had a great time! She only spent $40 buck! She wishes she would have gone to some of the Antique shops that she found on the way back to our hotel. I am glad she didn't, that would have cost A LOT more than $40 bucks!!! :D
rf

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Wow you got out way to EASY!!!!! Watch out Ronnie, she might have secret spending tactics yet to employ & utilize :laugh:
FYI - Ronnie was right on & wins the prize. 125g 21/64 at your local Wal-Mart for $1.50

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Very nice work! Though after seeing your GR-Research speakers I would expect nothing less. ;) All the pics are very helpful for us new(er) DIY'ers. :emoji_thumbsup:
- Dan

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hehe, you wore goggles and mask when working with MDF? Now that's what I call safety.
That cad drawing is so neat, I so want to do that... it would look real if it wasn't for the shadow.
I see a gap in the 8th pic, do you plan on filling that up with something like caulk?
I like the datto you routered, your box looks pretty strong.
I don't like how the braces are centered in the middle. I would have offset them slightly but that's just me.
Is there a reason the base is so thick? Don't hurt yourself moving that thing around. :)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Is there a reason the base is so thick? Don't hurt yourself moving that thing around.
I don't understand? The top and bottoms are only 1.5" think. Are you are referring to the pictures with the stack of MDF panels under the "dry fit" pieces? If so, those are a second sub! I am building 2 at the same time, one for me and one for a friend! :D
rf
PS- Chris, I see from your profile you are into RC cars. I raced Associated RC-10s 10-15 years ago and flew planes. I really miss it!

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Just uploaded a few more pictures. I am up to 95 pictures now. Patrick, I'm closing in on ya! :D
Tempest Project
I finally started the glue up last night! Page 7 and 8 shows some creative clamping when you don't have $30 a piece Bessey k-body clamps. All of my bar clamps come from Harbor Freight. They were on sale and I got four 6", four 12", two 24", two 30" and two 36" bar clamps for $45 buck including tax! :D They even have a lifetime warranty!
The only joints being glued in the pictures are the braces center joints. The sides are just holding the braces center joints square.
rf

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Tempest Project
Finished the glue up process on the two 122L subs this weekend, what a chore! I added a lot of boring clamping pictures to the site. I also took a few shots of the threaded inserts I used from McFeely's. They worked beautifully! Thanks Hank for the suggestion! They are the 8-32 size. I used them for the driver and the amp!

For the first sub, I glues up the sides into 2 "L" pieces.

I then glues these pieces together as well as to the top and braces all at the same time.
This worked but was a pain to do!

The second sub, I glued all the sides together first.

After this dried, I then slid the sides over the center brace and glued them to the top.

Here is sub #1 after the glue-up!
All I have left to do is trim the 1/8" overhang on the top and bottom, install the poly-fil, make the VC jumpers, install the amp and driver and fire it up! I hope I have enough time to watch Spider-Man tonight!
Ronnie

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, nice photojournal of your build process. Sleep well tonight knowing you've helped me with my project.

I covet thy clamp collection.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Glade the pictures will help! That is why I am posting them. I have learned so much from this forum from all the pictures posted! Patrick Sun is the best at it!!!
I have less than $60 buck US total in those clamps, (not including the 2 quick-grips.) I got them for about $3 to $3.50 each at a local Harbor Freight. They were on sale for half price. Here is a link to their website
Harbor Freight Bar Clamps
They never run the 1/2 price bar clamp sale online, only at the B&M. But the price is still very low on their website!
I like being able to hand-pick the clamps because the top heads are not always parallel to the screw head.
Even with all those clamps, I still had to use screws in a few places. Mainly to hold the sides square and flush. A brad-nailer would have been better, but cost a lot more than a few wood screws! ;)
Ronnie
Ronnie

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a mover roller handtruck? You're going to need to to move it around!
I have since tried to tell the DIY story with less and less photos. :D

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Brian-
I did not think it came out until tomorrow? I guess I don't know the inside trader places! AOTC is reserved for tomorrow night! I need to break the sub in on at least one movie (spiderman) before popping in AOTC! :)
Also I guess I need to watch LOTR again. I own it and have only watched it once. I was laid up for a week after minor surgery in late August and was pepped up on Percect when I watched it . :D I only remember about 10% of LOTR! I have been waiting until I got the sub built to watch it again!
Pat-
I am hoping I don't have to move it much! The next door neighbor is going to help move it in the house! ;) I wanted to use Baltic Birch but the price was out of my budget...
Ronnie

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie,
I ordered it from www.lasersedge.com on Thursday and it arrived Saturday. On pre-orders they ship once their inventory comes in. It cost a bit more, but it's not as convenient for me to run out to buy DVD's anymore. When I was at BellSouth there was a CC across the street and I'd hit it on my lunch break.
We're cutting MDF for 3 Tumult subs today so maybe I'll be finished with mine by the time the drivers ship!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks