What's new

Pictures of my old school movie room! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Here's the movie room. Sorry for the large image sizes. No Blu-Ray, and very little interest.

View from behind the main seating area. Having three identical speakers makes for an outstandingly balanced front sound field for movies and multichannel music. The room is pretty enormous and completely open on one side. I don't know if that helps or hurts imaging but it sounds great to me. The center sounds perfect on its side. What looks like an HVAC return duct on the right is in fact the manifold opening of an infinite baffle subwoofer that I built with lots of help from my brother-in-law. Those are LaserDiscs in the cabinet on the left. The actual video quality is better than these photos might suggest. The screen is a Da-Lite Video Spectra.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss181/PhilBiker/Movie%20Room/01MainView.jpg">[/url]

Way back in the corner. The big column is not in anyone's way when you're watching movies. There's a pool table behind where I took this shot from. It's great for watching games, but the column does get in the way of the players' view.

A Mid-Atlantic rack built into the wall off to the side of the room. Some day I'm going to get my brother-in-law over here and we're going to trim this with some nice window trim.
[list][*]Integra DTR-7 receiver[*]Panasonic DVD-F87 DVD player (This does DVD-Audio and HDCD, and has a DPLII decoder. Since my old receiver doesn't have DPLII I usually use the Multi-Channel input for DVD play. It also plays DVD-RAM which I use with a DVD-Recorder with built-in ATSC tuner elsewhere in the house.)[*]Sony MDS-JB920 MiniDisc deck[*]Panamax Rackmax Powermax surge protector[*]IMPACT component video switch (Sometimes an X-Box gets plugged into this. :))[*]Accurian HDTV tuner for OTA broadcast TV (Connetcted to an antenna network in the attic, which also feeds FM radio throughout the house)[*]DISH Network ViP722k[*]Pioneer CLD-D704 LaserDisc player[/list]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The seating area, with some funny looking guy appearing to enjoy the Paul McCartney DVD. The rear speakers are Athena dipoles. Behind one of them is a UHF/IR repeater pointing to the rack. I use a OneForAll UHF/IR remote control programmed through JP1 for everything. The projector is an Infocus X1 which I completely and totally love. The 4x3 aspect ratio is great for my large LD collection, especially many music videos.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Here's the infinite baffle sub from the rear. Most people who make these overbuild them like crazy, but the performance of this simple build is OUTSTANDING. Two Dayton (Parts Express) 15" drivers. This gives me the smoothest, most natural sounding bass I've ever heard at any price. Not boomy at all, not overwhelming, not too much, just perfect and natural. I haven't measured the extension but I'm sure it goes well into the 20s.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Back of the rack. Spaghetti mess. The amp at the top is for the upstairs, there's a preamp that feeds it from the TV room up there, and an in-ceiling speaker. Great for parties. The Pioneer Elite Dolby Digital decoder is only used for Laser Discs.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The sub amp. A friend of mine who works at an amp company tells me that these old Crown solid state amps tend to fail catastrophically. Eventually I'll get a new amp. Only one channel works, so the speakers are running as a 4 ohm load.

I had to make this multiple replies because the forum software was acting VERY screwy on this post.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Great pixs Phil, I miss my HT set up since I moved to VA. Brings back sweet memories taking time to set everything up.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Same here. Had to move my setup into the living room when our second child was born. Brings back good memories. Thanks for sharing!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Phil:

Great pictures. You will be happy to hear that we are going to be adding a gallery section to the forum with our next upgrade next week.

Parker

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Actually, this is a very cool setup you have here, Phillip. I like it!!!!! I also appreciate--and respect--how you are sticking to your guns with your old-school setup!!!!! Right on!!!!! :tu::tu::tu: And no problem with me about the size of the photos. IMHO, it helps make the scope that much more grander. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks