What's new

Picture Size Options (1 Viewer)

archp2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Arch Parsons
Hello,

I recently purchased a 50" Samsung Plasma 530. I noticed the 6 various picture size settings available. I notice now that Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 which I used to use are no longer available (grayed out). Samsung suggests to reset the default picture options. I tried this but it made no difference. I notice in the manual that it says Zoom 1 and 2 are available with the following input sources: ATV, Video, S-Video, Component (480i, 480p). It says they are NOT available with the following: DTV(1080i), Component (1080i, 1080p), HDMI (720p, 1080i, 1080p). It also says the HD Box settings may sometimes be involved, but I can find no such options when I enter cable settings on the remote. I'm not sure that I know the difference between all of those inputs which Samsung lists. I currently have my tv connected to a Denon Receiver which in turn has the HD Box, TV and speakers connected to it. I am using component cables for tv and hd box. I select Cable/TV on the Denon Receiver input knob to watch TV. Can someone please suggest why I no longer have Zoom 1 and Zoom2? I get a lot of programming with a black bar on the top and bottom and I liked to use one of the Zoom settings to stretch the image to fit the screen. Now I only have Wide Fit which doesn't do it right. Thank you in advance for any comments.
Edit/Delete Message

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I'm not sure why you don't have access to them, but your cable box might have those options too. Even if it does, you don't want them anyway.

You're supposed to have black bars on top and bottom with movies that are in an aspect ratio that's different than your 16:9 TV (i.e. 2.35:1). Using Zoom features either cuts off the sides of the picture or it stretches the picture vertically. You don't want either one of those. You want to see the whole movie as the director intended.

The only use for Zoom is if you're watching a letterboxed movie and those are pretty rare nowadays.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The zoom modes are only there for dealing with hard-matted letterboxed material from analog sources - signals from your cable box/DVR and hi-def or upconverting DVD player will automatically be converted to the correct aspect ratio. As noted, with aspect ratios wider than 16:9 (1.77:1) such as the 2.35:1 most modern "scope" films or the even wider ratios of classics like Ben Hur you will have "black bars" because you need them to see the film correctly.

My TV does a beautiful job of automatically adjusting for all my SD and HD digital cable channels, was well as 4:3 (1.33:1) films and anamorphic widescreen DVDs. The only time I have to mess with zoom modes is when I'm watching an old non-anamorphic DVD - in which case I first have to mess with the DVD player settings to change the output so that I can get to the zoom modes. (Please, somebody tell me they're going to do a anamorphic release of Streets of Fire someday. ;))

Regards,

Joe

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
My Tv only lets you change view modes with SD television. It is about 5 years old, but you may have something similar.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1080i (and 1080p) and 720p sources come only intended for the 16:9 aspect ratio so there is no compelling need to adjust a widescreen TV otherwise. Meanwhile a 4:3 TV should have a working zoom so 4:3 HDTV shows (that come pre-pillarboxed for 16:9 and are further letterboxed by the TV resulting in a windowboxed appearance) can be expanded to better fit.

archp2008

Auditioning
Real Name
Arch Parsons
Thanks for the comments. I realize that the size of picture I am getting is the size that I am supposed to get, but generally I still prefer it stretched to fit, but am unable to do so. I notice that I can use the zoom modes when playing back a DVD that is too narrow or not narrow enough, but not so for live television. I guess that's just the way it is. I haven't recorded any narrow shows with the PVR so I don't know if the zooms are available for playback or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks