What's new

picture disruption (1 Viewer)

Brad Gatewood

Auditioning
I'm very new to HTF and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. (I'll try to describe this as well as possible.) Whenever a sudden "bright" scene is encountered my TV picture is disrupted with a flash of lines (noise?).

If you're not sure what I mean by a "bright" scene, an example would be in Monsters Inc. when Boo (the little girl) laughs and causes a power surge in Monstropolis. The combination of the LFE and the sudden brightness of the on-screen electrical surge causes my picture to momentarily be disrupted.

I already reviewed the FAQ page and didn't see anything that specifically addressed this issue.

I have a JBL system - CinemaProPack 600.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...PROPACK 600-Z

Basically a high-end HTIB that Harmon is trying to get rid of. They are now a couple years old, but has separate components and lots of inputs/outputs on the receiver. I have everything routed thru the JBL A/V receiver - DVD, VCR, satellite receiver - and connected to the TV via S-video. I'm using fairly decent Monster cables for most connections.

Any ideas on why I'm getting this noise in the picture? If I've left out any vital information that might help in diagnosing the problem, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Your tv might have a shoddy power supply, and your contrast level might be too high.

Brad Gatewood

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestion James. I've checked the contrast level on the tv and its set o.k. As for the power supply, I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Here's what I was thinking. Feel free to give me your thoughts...

Since all video and audio are routed through the A/V receiver, is it possible that I'm just getting some interference in the video signal whenever there's a sudden surge in the output level? If so, any suggestions on how to correct it.

Any other ideas? :confused: Thanks

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Well, what kind of tv is it?

Usually when a "bright" scene causes picture distortion it is a power supply issue. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if it isn't occuring 100% of the time, it more than likely isn't your cables.

Brad Gatewood

Auditioning
Jack, I'm sorry... I should have been more specific. The contrast is set to about 60% of the max.

James, the tv is just a lower end GE model - 27 inch. I got it to replace a Mitsubishi set that did have a power supply problem. I went with a cheap tv because I was disappointed that I'd spent so much on a "good" tv and it still ended up crapping out after only 10 yrs.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying though. I assumed that because the set was not "powering off" that the power supply was not an issue. (That's what was happening with the Mitsubishi.)

Could it be that I have another set with power supply problems? Is it worth getting it fixed on a sub $300 tv?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the GE, being about as low-end as it gets with consumer televisions, does not have a robust power supply. Couple that with your 60-percent contrast-level setting, then your set is being badly overdriven and that would account for the video noise. (With even a good television/monitor, a 60-percent contrast level is way high.)

The best bet, if you don't want to spend a lot of money: Get a good television set from Toshiba or Panasonic (27-inch NTSC-only models from these excellent manufacturers run $300-$400), a calibration set-up disc, and massage a good picture out of the unit.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I was going to say the same thing about GE they're made by thompson same company that makes RCA. My parents have an RCA 25" tv and everytime a scene hits nearly pure white on there set going through S-vid it displays no signal on the screne its quite annoying.

I to would highly recommend a Panasonic in the affordable range of 27", I've got a 27" Panansonic with 2tuner PIP and love it though it doesn't offer component(made one year before that feature became standard on there 27" tv's) but the picture is absolutely superb.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Poor power supplies can also cause a constant geometric distortion in the picture on the sides during fairly but not drastically bright scenes, vertical lines will bend sort of inward towards the middle of the television. The blanking out and 'spots' are caused when you go way too bright for it too handle.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I'm not as knowledgable as the rest of these guys here giving you help Brad, but being a computer tech, troubleshooting mindset tells me that unless you know for sure..ie.. take the TV to a repair, I would investigate further. I would remove your reciever from the equation. Hook up the DVD directly to the TV, and see if it still happens. ? just my thoughts based on what you are experiencing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The fact that it's a GE-branded product from Thomson Multimedia pretty much accounts for the problems. That the Mitsu gave ten years of service is not so bad in itself, either (though that is a little on the short side; I've had a Sony give out after only ten years, while another lasted twenty).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks