What's new

Pics of our new HT (1 Viewer)

Daryl RL

Agent
Sorry to jump in so quickly, but check your links. They're not working from here (they take me to a new HTF window with your message on the screen).

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Holy Loop-De-Loop, Batman!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Linkies no workie.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
To get to his pics: right click on the link, Click PROPERTIES, highlight and copy, paste in address window, hit enter.

Ronald

You do need to fix your links.

Nice theater! You must drink a lot of Coke. That's the first time I've seen a full sized machine in a home theater. How much did that thing cost?

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice! You should buy some blackout cloth and make curtains for those French doors. How noisy is that Coke machine when the compressor is running?

Ronald.H

Agent
Regarding the Coke machine - I bought it at my wife's High School Charity Auction. I bid $600 and won it. It stores about 12 cases of cans and keeps them VERY cold. It's not good for a home theater though since the lights are bright (I twist the tubes to turn them off during movie watching), and the compressor is pretty loud. We may eventually move it back to the garage if we can't get used to the noise.

Regarding the doors - We don't need to completely block the light there because we are in the process of making a black velvet curtain that will hang behind the seating. It's on a track that I will mount to the ceiling. We can pull it shut to close off the theater, or leave it open for entertaining. A friend is sewing the curtain now, so I hope to have it hung in a couple of weeks.

Ronald.H

Agent
If you click on my homepage, you should be taken to my photo album with all the pictures - start to finish.

You don't need to sign in, just click "View Photos."

Photo Album

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That's beautiful, I love the tray ceiling and the wet bar.

Put something on your shelves!!! :)

Where's the gear?!?!?

johnathan

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Ronald
What a beautiful basment or lower floor! Let alone your theater. In one of the photos I see your projector is shooting a 4:3 image is it the X1 ? Having to use my living room for the home theater is a draw back. I wish I had a dedicated room such as yours great job. Happy viewing. Johnathan

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Wow. That's what I hope to do someday; turn a nice sized room into a HT w/a wet bar and 1/2 bath. I'd never leave. Wow...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

RogersK

Auditioning
Could you tell us what kind of recliners those are, and where you got them. Those are smart looking.

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
Great job with H/T. I have those same chairs in black. Just a question about the wood studs vs metal ones ?

LewB

Screenwriter
I hate you ! It's beautiful !
Is the steetrock curved at the base of the steps, or does it just look that way in the photos? If curved, please explain technique.

P.S. I hate you ! :D :D

MikeWh

Second Unit
Lew-- My 2 cents--

Curved drywall is usually done with 2 layers of 1/4" drywall. It is thin enough to bend smoothly, as long as the curve radius isn't too bad. I used this technique for a 26" radius, which is pretty tight! If the curve is too much, and the surface starts to make tiny ridges (or pre-folds), then you can smooth out the surface with a liberal application of drywall mud and sanding.

Please remember when making curved walls-- hardware and trim can be a pain; e.g., curved mouldings. Some bendable mouldings exist, but if the radius is too tight, you might have to do custom mouldings. "Standard" mouldings can be bent by cutting a series of kerfs in the backside, allowing the board to bend easier, but again, there is a limit until it'll snap.

As you can see in Ronald's pics, the handrail became a problem. Unfortunately, curved walls can create some unforeseen problems.

Ronald-- very nice job!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Every time I see a theater with those seats I just get sooo jealous. Man I want those. Nice job man. Looks really cosy. I like the effort you put into all the photos you took. It really allows a person to share the birth of the project. It turned out to a enviest success. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks