What's new

Picking a Sub for small 5.1 surround system (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Lee
I picked up 3 Elemental Design A6-5T5s and a Yamaha RBX-465 off ebay for cheap so they should hopefully be coming fairly soon, also invested in a pair of indignias.

I know I got the RBX-465 but I will probably be selling that and replacing it with a Marantz SR5005.

So the main thing left for the setup will be a subwoofer. I am looking to spend about 3-4 hundred bucks although going under that is always a positive. My current idea is the Titanic MKIII 10" Subwoofer DIY kit from parts express, powered by a 240 w amp.

But am more then happy to hear some other advice or suggestions on this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Lava 12" model is great in that price range. You get better low end than the Titanic kit because of the ported enclosure.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the Lava will out perform the BIC subs but not by much. From everything thing I've read, the BIC's are a lot of sub for a little money. The Lava is a step up but not a big step up.

Real Name
Lee
Thanks Robert, I am interested in your opinion here. Whats better the V1220 or F12?

Ill give you more info bout my situation though, I have real thin carpet which covers the cement base of my converted two car garage. About 8 foot ceilings, the room is I'd say 10x10 but open to the 10x10 kitchen, and partially open to the other side of the house. Ive got a big couch and a rug down in the living room and one of the first things in the kitchen is my fridge and kitchen table and such so theres stuff there to block sound waves.

But my main concern is what's best for my situation, front firing or down firing, I understand thats the sound waves are omni directional. But honestly I like to feel my bass as much as I like to hear it. I also want to hear accuracy in it for music preferably not missing a beat yet also being able to get low and loud. Essentially I want everything you could ever want from a sub .

After all that, would you warrant spending another 150 bucks or so on the Lava for that small improvement, in your opinion at least.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
front vs. down firing - If one method was better, then all sub manufacturers would use it. Some people like to show of the driver while others want the driver protected by downfiring it.

V1220 or F12 - You can search the web for numerous discussions about this. From what I've read, there is very little difference.

Your room is open to other parts of the house so that will lessen the tactile impact of the sub. When the room is closed, the sub will pressurize it and you can actually feel it more. With an open room, you need a great so to do this. My room is 15 x 25 x 9 and I use dual 15's with a 2,400w amp pushing them. I have added an EQ to make sure they are flat in the room from 100hz to 17hz with usable output below 15hz. If I ever decide I want more, I have four 18's ready to install in the attic in an infinite baffle configuration.

Real Name
Lee
Got yah, was just curious if one would be better for my situation, the only reason I would probably consider one over the other would be down firing because I have a dog who likes to investigate things and for my sub's sake as well as my wallet I would probably go with that.

But in your opinion is the difference of the Lava SPL12 vs the V1220 worth 150 bucks? I know its subject to opinion, but I am curious on your opinion as you seem to be quite knowledgeable in the subwoofer area.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My opinion - go for the Lava. But know that I love big, accurate bass and you can't get that from cheap subs. But remember that my two subs are based on these - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-642 .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm also in the market for a new sub, and was prepared to spring for a new SVS cylinder. However, all the good reviews of lower priced models from BIC and Lava are making me re-think if I really need to spend that much money ($700 vs. $300).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same here. Based on everything I'd been reading here about SVS, I automatically went to their site first to see what's available, and got hit with some serious sticker shock. One of those beauties might have to wait for a later setup, because I've got money leaking from every orifice right now, and that Lava 12" is looking mighty good for the money.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's like car shopping. Do you want a Kia, Mustang GT or Lambo. One of the reasons I like DIY especially for subs is that you can get great performance at the price of a lesser, retail sub. Or you can go nuts like the guy below. Each driver is an 18" TC Sounds LMS 5400 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-666) weighing 86 pounds. Two in each cabinet. Four cabinets.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Remember that commercial with the old man sitting in a chair with his hair flowing straight back? Now I know what room he was sitting in.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hey, Robert...any thoughts on the Emotiva Ultra 12? They're currently offering that sub for $429, shipped free in the US.

I'm kind of going back and forth between that and the Lava 12. Audioholics gave both very good reviews, with the Emotiva getting highest marks. But the Lava is about $100 less and I'm thinking that will likely fulfill my needs.

My recent sub was a Yamaha 8", 150 watts. I enjoyed that when it worked properly, so most any of the subs discussed in this thread would be a step up for me.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd go with Lava because of this line from the Emotiva site "Typical In‐Room Frequency Response: 22Hz‐200Hz". What does typical mean? There is no baseline either. In complete contrast, Lava states "Frequency Range: 22 - 200 Hz (+/-3dB)". So the Lava sub only varies plus or minus 3db from 22hz to 200hz. What is the variance for Emotiva? 6db? 12? If it was 3db, why don't they brag about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert_J

I'd go with Lava because of this line from the Emotiva site "Typical In‐Room Frequency Response: 22Hz‐200Hz". What does typical mean? There is no baseline either. In complete contrast, Lava states "Frequency Range: 22 - 200 Hz (+/-3dB)". So the Lava sub only varies plus or minus 3db from 22hz to 200hz. What is the variance for Emotiva? 6db? 12? If it was 3db, why don't they brag about it.

Thanks. I think I'm probably going to go for the Lava. I've done a bunch of surfing around the net looking for reviews over the past few days and everything I've seen has been favorable, from the product, to the price, to the customer service.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Following through on my post of a few days ago, I ordered the Lava LSP12 and I look forward to having it in my system by next weekend.

Anyone considering Lava should be aware of their offer of a 15% discount. I'd previously seen it announced for members of AVS, but they responded to me that they're happy to extend this to HTF members as well. Send them an email telling them your forum handle and they'll send back a unique coupon code to use at checkout on their site. My LPS12 went from $338 to $288, with no tax and no shipping -- and this, my friends, was a no-brainer for yrs truly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks