What's new

Pic-in-pic audio problems with "Argo" Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Hi, BTF Members!

Can you help me with a technical problem I'm having with my Blu-ray of "Argo"?

There's a supplemental feature called "Picture-in-Picture Eyewitness Account", in which the real-life participants appear on a smaller screen to comment on the movie's action while it plays out on the larger screen.

When I select that feature, I do get both pictures on the screen, but only the film's 5.1 soundtrack comes out of my speakers. I don't hear the audio from the eyewitnesses coming from the smaller picture. In previous pic-in-pic features like this, the film's soundtrack usually drops down to a lower level so that the supplemental audio can clearly be heard.

The only other English option listed in the disc's audio menu is the commentary track by Ben Affleck and the screenwriter. Any attempt to access the audio for the eyewitness accounts has been fruitless.

Can someone help me with this, as I would surely like to hear what the eyewitnesses have to say abou the movie's veracity.

Thanks very much!

Louis

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You may need to go into the audio setup menu of your Blu-ray player and enable "secondary audio". I think for many features like this, the commentary audio and the film's audio are mixed together "on the fly" by the player and output to your receiver essentially as a new audio track. The process of doing this, however, reduces the previously lossless audio of the main feature to a lossy format, which is why it is usually recommended to turn secondary audio OFF for most situations (secondary audio can include things like the button click sound effects from the Blu-ray menus - a nice feature to some extent, but certainly not worth sacrificing lossless audio for!!)

If this, by chance, solves your problem, be sure to deactivate the feature when you're done to ensure the best audio quality for your next main feature.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Jason,

Thank you SO much for your very good advice in helping me to access the elusive "Secondary Audio Program" on the "Argo" Blu-ray!

Taking your suggestion, I referred to the Operating Manual for my Oppo Blu-ray Player and, sure enough, I needed to manually go into the "Audio Format Setup" to turn the "Secondary Audio Program" to "on", so that I could hear the commentary by the real-life "Argo" participants in the disc's Picture-in-Picture" supplemental section. It worked perfectly! And -- just like you said -- the manual also instructed me to turn the "SAP" option to "off" when I was done, so that the primary audio would return to the higher-quality "lossless" mode.

Jason, thanks to you, I can now enjoy listening to what reviewers of the Blu-ray said was probably the best supplement on the disc.

Best regards,

Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks