1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Phono Preamp frustration!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bryan73, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Bryan73

Bryan73 New Member

Hello all. I have decided to join this website as I am still a bit green in the wide wide world of Hi-Fi. My problem is as follows...I have a dual CS 505-4 turntable with a Shure V15 cartridge. I have been running these components through the phono inputs on my Harmon/Kardon AVR 20 II receiver while using a seperate audio source amp to drive my speakers. I was not too happy with the sound and decided to purchase a McCormack micro phono drive. I paid 420.00 for a used one. My question is this...Is there any way I could make the phono drive work with my system?( Ive tried connecting it to various inputs on my receiver with no luck.) Thank you, Bryan.

2. rayman1701

rayman1701 Well-Known Member

Ray Miller
    What is the model number? Without knowing that and looking around on Google a bit, the one I saw had phono input and ground, which you would hook up to your turntable. Then the Line Output you would run to your reciever, thru a line in, like Tape or Aux, DO NOT use the Phono input with the pre-amp as that would cause a signal overlaod. Also looks to have an AC in, which would be for plugging into power. I'm not an expert on all the ins and outs of phono pre's and know that there could be impedence issues depending on cartridge and such. Hopefully someone else can help a bit more.

3. Bryan73

Bryan73 New Member

Thank you for your response Ray. I believe you were looking at the right amp on google. I have tried the line in inputs such as the tape and Aux but no luck. Absolutely no sound at all. Bryan